There are currently no items in your cart.
Promise Music composed by Clif Walker. Percussion nonet. For percussion ensemble (bells, 2-vibraphones, 3-marimbas, wood wind chimes, glass, wind chimes, 2-rainsticks, chimes, ride cymbal, prepared gong, crotales, F crotale (bowed on timpani), sleigh bell, suspended cymbal, mark tree gong). Level 5. Score and set of parts. Duration 6 minutes. Published by Innovative Percussion (IP.E-CW-PRO).
Composer's notes: Originally conceived and written as a marimba solo with small ensemble accompaniment, it was later revised (2007) and expanded to seven, then nine equal parts. It was performed in its final form at the 2007 Percussive Arts Society International Convention by the Florida State University percussion ensemble as a winner of the "call for tapes "competition under the direction of Dr. John W. Parks IV. The work attempts to convey the mood of a promise. A strong, simple melody withstanding an undercurrent of activity, changes, modulations. Intentionally, it was written without the use of any drums/membranophones, leaving all the challenges of energy, aggressiveness, and excitement exclusively to keyboards and various metals (cymbals, gongs, and triangle). The struck crotale on timpani effect is in memory of, and was introduced to the composer by, the late Michael Hooley of Northeast Missouri State University.
"Scored for nine performers, "Promise Music" has the following part assignments: 1-bells; 2-vibraphone; 3-vibraphone; 4-five-octave marimba and wooden wind chimes; 5-4.3-octave marimba and glass wind chimes; 6-5.0-octave marimba and rainstick; 7-chimes; 8-crotales, ride cymbal and gong; 9-mark tree, suspended cymbal, gong, vibraslap and sleighbells. This composition has an "organic" minimalistic style. After an opening section characterized by "atmospheric" mood-shaping timbres (such as a crotale on the edge of a timpani, mark tree, wooden wind chimes, etc.), performer 4 initiates a melodic motive on marimba that is imitated by players 5 and 6, underpinned by player 8's light ride cymbal ostinato (which is the same rhythm as the marimba's melodic rhythm). The overall structure of "Promise Music" appears to be arch-form, with the concluding section being similar to its opening. There are numerous mixedmeter changes, which create an intrinsic syncopation. This percussion ensemble will certainly fit the need for large, mature college percussion ensembles." - Jim Lambert Percussive Notes, August/September 2009.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble Music