There are currently no items in your cart.
Nights in Tobago (score & parts) composed by David R. Gillingham. For concert band (Piccolo Flute 1 Flute 2 Oboe 1/2 English Horn B-flat Clarinet 1 B-flat Clarinet 2 B-flat Clarinet 3 B-flat Bass Clarinet Contrabassoon Alto Saxophone 1/2 Tenor Saxophone Baritone Saxophone B-flat Trumpet 1 B-flat Trumpet 2 B-flat Trumpet 3 F Horn 1/2 F Ho). Grade 5. Score & parts. Duration 9:34. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.18380).
Drawing inspiration from a poem titled "Calypso," Gillingham perfectly captures the excitement, danger, & celebrations one might encounter while visiting the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. You'll even hear echoes of a calypso band, complete with a steel drum.
Nights in Tobago was commissioned in honor of Dr. Larry Snider, Professor of Percussion at the University of Akron. Dr. Snider has been the director of the famed University of Akron Steel Drum Band since 1980. Trinidad and Tobago are the two islands that make up the Caribbean Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Both islands are popular venues for tourists. Caribbean music flourishes on both islands and one can hear many local calypso-type bands with steel drums. This work has been partially inspired by the imagined nightlife on the two islands as well as Kamau Brathwaite's poem, "Calypso," from which I extracted the following stanza: Steel drum steel drum hit the hot calypso dancing hot rum hot rum who goin' stop this bacchanalling? The piece is divided into three sections and is based solely on the melodic material taken from the Caribbean folk song, "Tingalayo" (little donkey). The first section eludes to the rhythms of the steel drum bands indicative of the islands and builds in texture, volume and tempo as the "night life" begins to develop. Ensuing, is a break from the exciting rhythms and music of the steel drums suggesting a quiet walk along the picturesque beachfront. This, however, is interrupted by sinister, violent bursts of percussive dissonance during what began as a wonderful night on the island. Fortunately, the bad is offset by a return to the celebratory sounds of the night with the steel drum again singing the "Tingalayo" tune leading to a spectacular conclusion.
Nights in Tobago (score & parts)
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Nights in Tobago (score & parts)
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 5