There are currently no items in your cart.
Month of the Cold Moon by Roland Barrett. For concert band. Concert Band. FJH Symphonic Band. Grade 4. Score and set of parts. Duration 6 minutes. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.B1367).
Inspired by the tragic story of "The Trail of Tears," this work depicts the long journey made by the Cherokees when they were forced to leave their land and journey a thousand miles on foot. From shock to outrage, the opening section paints a vivid picture of chaos, depicted by forceful bass pedal points and powerful chords throughout the group. Unison ensemble hits announce the beginning of the journey. As the music builds, the unison hits continue to interject so as not to be forgotten. The middle section captures immense sadness and desperation through the use of delicate textures and lush harmonies. Previous themes all come together as the final section seeks to bring closure to this tragic event in American history. Powerful and emotional.
This work was inspired by the tragic story of Nunna daul Tsuny ("The Trail Where They Cried" or "The Trail of Tears"), one of the saddest incidents in American history. In the early 1800s, the U.S., feeling threatened by European presence in western North America, attempted to create a buffer zone between U.S. and European holdings. It would be inhabited by eastern American Indians, allowing for American expansion westward from the original colonies to the Mississippi River. Between 1816-1840, local tribes between the original states and the Mississippi gradually signed treaties ceding their lands to the U.S. In 1830, Congress passed the Indian Removal Act, forcing remaining Indians off their land. In May of 1838, federal troops began the roundup of the Cherokee Nation. Three groups left that summer, traveling from present-day Chattanooga by rail, boat, and wagon. One of these groups suffered three to five deaths per day from illness and drought. By March 1839, survivors had arrived in the West. No one knows how many died but the trail took a heavy toll on infants, small children, and elderly. Accompanying missionary doctor Elizur Butler estimated over 4000 died - nearly one-fifth of the entire Cherokee population. The formal structure of the work abstractly depicts various stages of the tragic journey.
About FJH Symphonic Band
Appropriate for accomplished high school, college, and professional groups. Includes expanded instrumentation and ranges. Grades 4 - 5
Month of the Cold Moon
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Month of the Cold Moon
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 4
Series: FJH Symphonic Band