There are currently no items in your cart.
Modal Menagerie composed by Richard E. Brown. For concert band. Concert Band. FJH Young Band. Score only. Full set (score and parts) also available: B1305. Grade 2. Score only. Duration 3 minutes, 40 seconds. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.B1305S).
Modal Menagerie is a suite of four very short, fun pieces that are intended to introduce young students to modal tonalities. Each movement musically depicts an animal whose name alliterates with the mode being demonstrated: Lydian Lions, Phrygian Pheasan, Dorian Donkeys; and Mixolydian Monkeys.
The four modes used in this composition are not presented in their usual white-key tonalities, but are transposed to be more band friendly. The modes related to the major scale (Lydian and Mixolydian) are transposed to B-flat major, and the modes related to the natural minor scale (Phrygian and Dorian) are transposed to C minor. Instead of using modal key signatures (one less flat for Lydian and Dorian, one more flat for Phrygian and Mixolydian), the key signature of the closely related major or minor scale is used, with accidentals emphasizing the modal structure. However, the modal inflection note does not necessarily appear in all four movements on every part.
About FJH Young Band
Appropriate for middle school and smaller high school groups. Second clarinets usually stay below the break. Parts are written with more independence, and instrumentation increases slightly. There is still adequate doubling in the lower voices. Grades 2 - 2.5
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 2
Series: FJH Young Band