There are currently no items in your cart.
Missa Solemnis composed by Serge Lancen. For Fanfare Band. Sacred Music / Classical Songs and Oratoria / Latin Songs. Classic Arrangement. Grade 5. Score and Parts. Published by Molenaar Edition (ML.021964110).
This Mass has been dedicated to His Holyness Pope John Paul II, to witness Lancens deep and respectful admiration for the Holy Father. The work was composed in 1986 and written for two solo voices: a soprano and a baryton-Martin (high baritone), mixed choir, harp (ad libitum) and symphonic band or organ. It has ten parts: INTROIT - KYRIE - GLORIA - OFFERTORIUM - SANCTUS - PATER NOSTER - AGNUS DEI - COMMUNIO - DEO GRATIAS - and as final part an ALLELUIA. Lancen expressed his views about this Mass as follows: 'The most important aspect of the Mass is the praising of God and the sacrificing to God; that is why I thought it suitable to use both the themes of the Sanctus and the Offertorium in writing the Introitus. It seemed to me also quite logical that the initial themes of the Kyrie and the Agnus Dei would be rather similar as these are two moments where the priest and the worshippers invoke God. The composition ends with a brilliant Alleluia in which I also briefly quote the theme of the Sanctus.' This Mass was premiered on 27 may 1989 at 'Our Lady's Church' in Maastricht, The Netherlands, as part of the celebrations of the fiftieth anniversary of the Roman Catholic Band Federation of the Limburg County. The Bishop Castermans celebrated the Mass, whereas Jan Cober conducted this first performance. The Missa Solemnis is an alternation of meditating, though often impressive, orchestral passages with angelical choral sounds and the pious singing of both soloists. This may not be the type of music we usually expect from Serge Lancen, but nevertheless the composer remains faithful to his own typical style of composition. You can call this work romantic, though it surely is 'contemporary' or, why not, 'from all times'. The instrumentation is varied and extremely rich, mostly due to Lancen's typical use of 'wind band colours'. This Latin Mass suits perfectly well in the tradition of Roman-Catholic Masses that have been written by several great composers.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Fanfare Band Music