There are currently no items in your cart.
Marimba Heritage by Mark Ford. Percussion Ensemble. For percussion ensemble (4 marimbas (2 low A, 1 low F, 1 five octave), 2 vibraphones, xylophone, glockenspiel, timpani). Level 5. Score and set of parts. Published by Innovative Percussion (IP.E-MF-HER).
Composer's notes: Marimba Heritage is an original composition that honors the history of solo marimba literature. Motives from many well-known marimba solos are woven into this new composition. While I considered numerous marimba works as I prepared to compose, the list below represents the marimba solos that inspired this music. All of these benchmark works were pivotal in guiding the pedagogical/artistic path of solo marimba literature. Marimba Heritage was commissioned by Dr. Brett Dietz and the Louisiana State University Percussion Ensemble and premiered at LSU on March 29, 2009. The work features the power and energy of marimba music that has inspired thousands of percussionists for more than 60 years.
"As the title suggests, this new work for percussion ensemble guides listeners through a collection of musical vignettes as it honors the history of solo marimba literature by incorporating motives from marimba works that are considered standards in the genre. The piece is scored for eight percussionists and requires two low-A marimbas, one low-F marimba, one 5.0-octave marimba, two vibraphones, one xylophone and a set of bells (played by one player), and one set of timpani. Throughout this seven-minute work, Ford quotes such familiar pieces as "Furioso and Valse" by Hatch, "Etude in C Major" by Musser, and "Velocities" by Schwanter. At no time do these musical quotes seem hokey or tawdry; this composition comes across quite tastefully as it pays homage to these "benchmark works that were pivotal in guiding the pedagogical/artistic path of solo marimba literature." All four marimba players must be well versed in four-mallet technique and musicianship to achieve performance success, but not necessarily familiar with the pieces that are quoted. The remaining players serve primarily as reinforcement, harmony, or countermelody as the marimbists effectively lead the performers, as well as the audience, through the musical voyage. This work will appeal to a broad spectrum of listeners and is sure to become a standard in percussion ensemble repertoire." - Joshua D. Smith, Percussive Notes, September 2010.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble Music