There are currently no items in your cart.
Mally's Cotswold Morris Book, Volume Two edited by Dave Mallinson. For Acoustic Instruments. Saddle-stitched, Songbook. Cotswold Morris. Celtic/Irish. Beginning-Intermediate. Book. 32 pages. Published by Dave Mallinson Publications (MB.AM202).
ISBN 9781899512034. Celtic/Irish. 8.25 x 11.75 inches.
The very few morris tune books that are available can only be found with difficulty; none are suitable for the novice. Mally's Morris Books will go some way to rectifying this situation and, although they are not specifically aimed at beginners, they should be of tremendous use to them.
To convey traditional music exactly by conventional notation can be very difficult. Cotswold morris tunes are no exception, in fact they are probably the most difficult of all to notate because of their many rhythm and tempo changes. A large amount of Cotswold morris tunes contain a section of music played at a tempo and with a rhythm differing notably from the main body of the tune. This section, called "slows" is almost always a corruption of part of the tune played earlier. Sometimes sections are played at a faster or slower tempo. Sometimes a particular section may be played at different speeds in subsequent repetitions. Every effort in these books has been made to indicate these rhythm and tempo variations by using extra terms and signs as well as conventional music notation. When used in conjunction with the soundtrack, musicians who are unfamiliar with the peculiarities of Cotswold morris music should soon be able to grasp what is required.
The tunes are clearly written in large note music in a simple but accurate form; they're also eminently suitable for any melody instrument. Chord arrangements are shown, all of which are suitable for both melodeon and piano accordion.
The two collections, although far from comprehensive contain most of the dance tunes currently in vogue in what might be called the popular Cotswold traditions. All of the tunes can be found elsewhere, but unlike previous publications, they are all presented in keys which most of today's morris musicians are most likely to favour.
- Jackie to the Fair (Brackley)
- Billy Boy (Bledington)
- Vandals of Hammerwich (Lichfield)
- Shepherds' Hey (Adderbury)
- Trunkles (Bledington)
- Beaux of London City (Adderbury)
- Cuckoo's Nest (Ilmington)
- Monk's March (Sherborne)
- Johnny's so Long at the Fair (Bampton)
- Old Black Joe (Bucknell)
- Old Woman Tossed Up (Brackley)
- Princess Royal (Bampton)
- Lads a Bunchum (Sherborne)
- Wheatley Processional (Wheatley)
- Country Gardens (Fieldtown)
- Maid of the Mill (Ilmington)
- Rigs O' Marlow (Headington)
- Glorishears (Fieldtown)
- Double Set Back (Headington)
- Balance the Straw (Bledington)
- Ladies' Pleasure (Fieldtown)
- Rory O'More (Adderbury)
- Leapfrog (Bledington)
- Shepherds' Hey (Bampton)
- Cuckoo's Nest (Longborough)
- Rodney (Headington)
- The Buffoon (Adderbury)
- Step Back (Fieldtown)
- Flowers of Edinburgh (Bampton)
- Lads a Bunchum (Hinton)
- Bobbin-a-Joe (Wheatley)
- Saturday Night (Bucknell)
- Morning Star (Bledington)
- The Webley Jig (Bampton)
- Lumps of Plum Pudding (Bledington)
- Glorishears (Bampton)
- Bonnets so Blue (Bucknell)
- Willow Tree (Bucknell)
- Bean Setters (Brackley)
- Bobby and Joan (Fieldtown)
- Milley's Bequest (Lichfield)
- Bonnets O' Blue (Bucknell)
- Princess Royal (Sherborne)
- The Sherriff's Ride (Lichfield)
- Beaux of London City (Badby)
- Morris On (Headington)
- Jenny Lind (Bampton)
- Getting Upstairs (Headington)
- Old Mother Oxford (Headington)
- Cuckoo's Nest (Sherborne)
- Idbury Hill (Bledington)
- The Bower Processional (Lichfield)
- Shepherds' Hey (Fieldtown)
- Bonny Green Garters (Headington)
- Bean Setting (Headington)
- None So Pretty (Fieldtown)
- Room for the Cuckolds (Bucknell)
- The Rose (Fieldtown)
- The Rose Tree (Bampton)
- Blued Eyed Stranger (Headington)
- Old Black Joe (Badby)
- The Quaker (Bampton)
- Shepherds' Hey (Wheatley)
- How d'ye do, Sir? (Headington)
- I'll go and Enlist for a Sailor (Sherborne)
- The Sherborne Jig (Sherborne)
Mally's Cotswold Morris Book, Volume Two
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
Mally's Cotswold Morris Book, Volume Two
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Format: Collection / Songbook