There are currently no items in your cart.
Lion City composed by Soon Hee Newbold. For string orchestra. Orchestra. FJH String Orchestra. Grade 3. Score and set of parts. Duration 4 minutes, 30 seconds. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.ST6190).
Experience the diverse cultures of Singapore ("Lion City") in a whirlwind of sonorities! From the opening harmonic glissandos to the innovative use of instruments (to imitate authentic instruments such as the ehru, pipa, and gamelan), this work is brilliantly orchestrated. Add in rhythmic intensity and soaring themes, and you have a sonic experience that many will not believe possible from a string orchestra. Sensational!
Chinese, Malay, Indian, and Western cultures make up the unique and inspiring country of Singapore. Its history dates as far back as the 11th century, but it was in the 13th century that a Sumatran prince gave this small island the name Singa pura, or Lion City, because of a creature he believed to be a lion walking on its shores. Lion City is reflective of the many cultures that make up Singapore. The beginning starts with an ancient rainstorm, introducing Malay and Indian themes. Traditional instruments like the gamelan are portrayed by the col legno and pizzicato. Con fuoco depicts the rapid growth and booming economy that Singapore is known for today. East meets West as Chinese and contemporary melodies play out. A hint of the Malay theme returns at the very end.
About FJH String Orchestra
More emphasis on bow technique and independence of lines. For the accomplished middle, high school, college, or professional group. Grade 3 and up
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: String Orchestra Music
Genre: Classical Sheet Music
Series: FJH String Orchestra