There are currently no items in your cart.
La Gazza Ladra by Gioachino Rossini (1792-1868). Arranged by Jan Molenaar. For Concert Band. Arrangements of Classical Opera and Operetta Overtures. Classic Arrangement. Grade 6. Score and Parts. Duration 10 minutes, 50 seconds. Published by Molenaar Edition (ML.012611070).
The "Swan of Pesaro" as Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868) was called, was to become one of the greatest European composers of the nineteenth century. He was made immortal by his numerous operas. "The thievish magpie" is a three act opera to a libretto of Gheraldini, based on the French comedy "La Pie voleuse" by d'Aubigny and Caigniez. In fact, the plot was based on a real fait-divers: the petty thefts of a magpie causing a young innocent maidservant to be sentenced to death. As usually, Rossini wrote this opera in a very short time and was first produced at the Scala in Milan in 1817, then in London (1821) and in Philadelphia (1827). Afterwards, the opera fell into oblivion until it was again performed in Florence in 1965. The overture has always been tremendously popular both with symphony orchestras and wind bands. The military-like introduction with two drum rolls is striking; it is followed by the main theme, a stirring march. Then we have the drum rolls again and a short crescendo towards five chords ending this part. The allegro boasts two melodies: a brilliant and delicate theme with the clarinets and a lively theme played by the whole woodwind section. As is often the case with Rossini, the crescendo plays an important role.
La Gazza Ladra
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
La Gazza Ladra
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 6