There are currently no items in your cart.
King Across the Water composed by Bruce Fraser. For concert band (All wind players play tambour drums, Flute 1, Flute 2, Oboe*, Bb Clarinet 1, Bb Clarinet 2, Bb Clarinet 3, Bb Bass Clarinet*, Bassoon*, Alto Saxophone 1*, Alto Saxophone 2*, Tenor Saxophone*, Baritone Saxophone*, Horn in F 1, Horn in F 2, Bb Trumpet 1, Bb). Band Music. Maestro Band Series. Grade 3. Score only. Duration 6:15. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.S11162).
Explosive! Cast in three major sections, King Across the Water treats the traditional Scottish folk-song "Johnnie Cope" as a fanfare ("Battle"), a lyrical song ("Lament"), and a reel ("Dancing"). Many of the woodwind players will have the opportunity to serve as percussionists during the "Battle." Both audience and ensemble will enjoy this exciting presentation of the tale of Sir John Cope.
This work is based on an event in the life of Bonnie Prince Charlie. He had returned to Scotland and was gathering about him an army heading south towards England, which had sent Sir John Cope to fight with him. The traditional folk-song "Johnnie Cope" is the basis of all the themes in the work. Charlie attacked the English at Prestonpans outside Edinburgh - this is represented by "Battle" - where the theme appears as fanfares and battle shrieks. There followed a period of mourning as the English had been massacred - "Lament" - in which the theme is fragmented into long sustained phrases. The Scots rejoiced and celebrated in Edinburgh - "Dancing" - where the theme is the original used as a reel. The Tambours referred to in the Woodwind parts can be a diverse collection of drums, even home-made. A simple yet effective drum can be made from a plastic tub or bucket with polythene stretched over the open end and held in place with elastic bands to create the tension. Otherwise, any sort of tom-tom, bongo, or unsnared drum is suitable.
King Across the Water
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
King Across the Water
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
More by this Composer: Bruce Fraser Sheet Music Bruce Fraser B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Drums Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Horn Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Percussion Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Concert Band Sheet Music
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 3
Series: Maestro Band Series