There are currently no items in your cart.
Just a Closer Walk with Thee composed by Fredrick Allen. For concert band. Grade 3. Score and set of parts. Published by TRN Music Publisher (TU.CBJUS1).
"This hymn is well-known throughout America, though its composer and origin are unknown. It gained notoriety in the 1930's as African-American churches met for large singing conventions. It is also a staple of the famous jazz funerals of New Orleans.
Arranged to honor the band teaching career of Barbara Lovett, the setting was designed to capture her peaceful and warm sprit. The rocking eighth note figures that begin in measure 2 portray the constant pulse of the life of Barbara Lovett: faithful and study for her students, family and friends.
Though this setting purposely avoids the jazz style frequently associated with the tune, there is a respectful nod to the jazz idiom at the end of the trumpet solo in mm. 76-79. The opening live of the text "I am weak but Thou art strong" has a relationship to the biblical scripture in II Corinthians 13:3-4.
The tempo should not be too slow: avoid playing slower that the marking. Slight rubato is appropriate, especially in the area at 66, where soloists call to one another. Conductors should feel free to add dynamic contours to add expressiveness to this hymn
Fred J. Allen is Director of Bands at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. In addition to his responsibilities with the band, he teaches conducting and music education classes. Prior to his current position, Allen taught at Abilene Christian University and for eleven years in public schools. His areas of specialization include literature for bands and intonation of the wind instruments. TRN has published pieces for band by Fred J. Allen which draw upon his experience As a public school teacher. He attempts to present opportunities for expressive playing within the range and rhythm constriction necessary for young instrumentalists. Allen is a member of College Band Directors National Association, Texas Music Educators Association, and Phi Beta Mu honorary bandmasters fraternity.".
Just a Closer Walk with Thee
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Just a Closer Walk with Thee
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 3