There are currently no items in your cart.
Jingle Bells by Count Basie. Edited by Jonathan Lorentz. Arranged by Ernie Wilkins. For big band. Swing. Difficult. Full score and set of parts. Published by Jazz Lines Publications (JL.JLP-8006).
On a warm, July day in 1961 Ernie Wilkins came to a Count Basie Orchestra gig at Birdland in New York with a newly completed manuscript in his hand. He had just finished an arrangement of the holiday classic Jingle Bells and wanted to have the band give it a test-run with an eye towards recording it in the studio later on in the year. Well, despite the fact that it was the middle of the summer the band played it. The raucous chart was a huge success and has been featured on many holiday compilations ever since. This chart has been transcribed from the live recording as it was a more enthusiastic version than what was later recorded in the studio. In the live recording Count Basie starts off the arrangement with a 64-bar solo based on an 8-bar chord progression. In the studio version, there are only 16 bars upfront. Basie's piano introduction from the studio recording has been written out as it serves the chart well: it is classic Basie piano material. Your band has the option of repeating this 8-bar intro as many times as you need and then cueing the band in. Chord changes for the tenor saxophone solo have been included rather than writing out the solo. There are no saxophone doubles. The sound sample provided is from the studio recording so that you can hear the piano introduction. Ranges:Trumpet 1 to D6 Trombone 1 to Bb4.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Ensemble: Big Band Music