There are currently no items in your cart.
Jazz Fiddle Wizard Junior, Book 1 by Martin Norgaard. For Violin. Saddle-stitched, Methods. Jazz Wizard. Jazz play along. Beginning-Intermediate. Book/CD Set. 48 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.20186BCD).
ISBN 9780786665013. Jazz play along. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Jazz Fiddle Wizard Jr. is designed for beginning to intermediate middle and high school violinists in the tradition of the parent method, Jazz Fiddle Wizard--a break-through approach for string players who want to learn to improvise within the jazz style. No step is left out in this sequentially arranged introduction to the role of rhythm, call and response, articulation, scales, and chord changes in jazz improvisation. The exercises are turned into catchy tunes arranged to work in any configuration of string groups. That is, three-part arrangements for each tune may be played with any number of like instruments or in conjunction with Jazz Viola Wizard Jr. and Jazz Cello Wizard Jr. books. Suitable as a self-instruction book or for use in private and/or group string instruction, Jazz Fiddle Wizard Jr. contains piano accompaniment parts as well as a CD that provides a full rhythm section accompaniment for every exercise and tune. The appropriate tone and style are modeled by the author's performances of more than 50 sample exercises and improvised solos.
- Lesson 1: Improvising with Rhythms
- 01 Tuning note A 440
- 02 Play-along: Rhythms on open A, four times each
- 03 Q & A: Repeat rhythms, one measure each
- 04 Q & A: Answer with different rhythms
- 05 Q & A: Repeat rhythms, two measures each
- 06 Q & A: Answer with different rhythms
- 07 Solo: Twelve-bar rhythm solo, first listen then play your own
- Lesson 2: Improvising with Rhythm and Pitch
- 08 Play-along: D minor pentatonic scale, one octave, three times
- 09 Play-along: Figures on one-octave D minor pentatonic scale
- 10 Q &A: Repeat figures, D start note, one measure each
- 11 Q &A: Repeat figures, A start note, one measure each
- 12 Q & A: Repeat figures, D start note, includes skip, one measure each
- 13 Q & A: Repeat figures, any start note, one measure each
- 14 Q & A: Answer with improvised figure, one measure each
- 15 Q & A: Answer with improvised figure, two measures each
- 16 Solo: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 17 Solo: Empty backup track
- Advanced: Adding the Blues Note and Effects
- 18 Play-along: D Blues scale, three times
- 19 Q & A: Repeat figure
- 20 Q & A: Answer figure
- 21 Play-along: Listen to the "Blues effects"
- Wizard Blues
- 22 Play-along: Martin Norgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 23 Play-along: Empty backup track
- Lesson 3: Using the Entire Scale
- 24 Play-along: G major scale in quarters, swing eighths and mixed rhythms
- 25 Play-along: G major scale with rhythms from Lesson 1
- 26 Play-along: G major scale with two different rhythms
- 27 Play-along: G major scale in eighth notes
- 28 Play-along: G major scale with improvised rhythms
- 29 Play-along: Change direction on the scale using only quarter notes
- 30 Play-along: Change direction and improvise rhythms
- 31 Play-along: Start on a different note
- 32 Play-along: Add repeated notes
- 33 Play-along: Add skips
- 34 Q & A: Answer with improvised figure, two measures each
- 35 Solo: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 36 Solo: Empty backup track
- Advanced: Adding Triplets and Sixteenths
- 37 Play-along: G major scale in triplets and rhythms
- 38 Q & A: Answer with improvised figure using triplets, two measures each
- Sweet Rose
- 39 Play-along: Martin Norgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 40 Play-along: Empty backup track
- Lesson 4: Improvising with One Note Changing
- 41 Play-along: Listen to see how B and B-flat fit each chord
- 42 Q & A: Repeat rhythms on B and B-flat, one measure each
- 43 Q & A: Repeat figures, start on B or B-flat, one measure each
- 44 Q & A: Repeat figures, any start note, one measure each
- 45 Play-along: E minor pentatonic scale with B changing to B-flat
- 46 Q & A: Add rhythms to the scale, four measures each
- 47 Q & A: Change direction, four measures each
- 48 Q & A: Use different rhythms on Em and C7, four measures each
- 49 Solo: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 50 Solo: Empty backup track
- Advanced: Using the Full Register
- 51 Play-along: E minor pentatonic scale with B and B-flat in full register
- 52 Play-along: Change direction
- 53 Q & A: Full register, four measures each
- Canta Island
- 54 Play-along: Martin Norgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 55 Play-along: Empty backup track
Jazz Fiddle Wizard Junior, Book 1
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
Jazz Fiddle Wizard Junior, Book 1
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Violin Sheet Music
Genre: Jazz Sheet Music
Series: Jazz Wizard