There are currently no items in your cart.
Jazz Cello Wizard, Junior, Book 2 composed by Martin Norgaard. For Cello. Saddle-stitched, Methods. Jazz Wizard. Jazz play along. Intermediate. Book/CD Set. 64 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.20869BCD).
ISBN 9780786666553. Jazz play along. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Jazz Cello/Bass Wizard Junior 2 is a continuation of Jazz Cello Wizard Junior (Mel Bay, 2002) and is designed for upper middle school and high school string students. JCWjr 2 uses the same basic approach as JCWjr; students learn mainly through imitation, the same way we learn to speak our native tongue. It also introduces very easy optional chord theory but only AFTER the student has experienced improvising with chords aurally. The books come in three versions - violin, viola, and cello/bass -designed to be used together in studio and classroom situations. This volume introduces three basic concepts that are prerequisites to advanced jazz improvising: solo development, modes, and inner melodies - the single most potent technique to get students to improvise on advanced progressions immediately.
* Any student or teacher will learn to improvise independent of background.
* Provides all the instructions and verbiage a newcomer to jazz will need to learn or teach from the method.
* Includes swing, Latin, and blues styles incorporated into the lessons.
* The five lessons are carefully sequenced to introduce key components of improvisation.
* Four performance-quality pieces are included in a format that can be used with three cellos or basses, in a string orchestra or any other combination of string instruments (if used together with the other versions of the series).
* Includes a CD with sample solos and exercises in addition to full rhythm section accompaniment tracks to the performance pieces.
- Lesson 1: Question and Answer Phrases
- 01 Tuning note A 440
- 02 Play-along: The G major scale
- 03 Play-along: Scale step numbers
- 04 Q & A: Answer starting on the same notes
- 05 Q & A: Play answer phrases only
- 06 Q & A: Play question phrases only
- 07 Play-along: Play both question and answer phrase
- 08 Play-along: Play an entire solo ending with an answer phrase
- 09 Play-along: Empty back up track using Turnaround
- Town solo progression
- Lesson 2: Improvising with Rhythm and Pitch
- 10 Q & A: Answer in the same register
- 11 Play-along: Play an entire solo in various registers
- 12 Q & A: Answer with similar note values
- 13 Play-along: Play an entire solo with various note values
- 14 Play-along: Play an entire solo using all story telling devices
- Followed by example solo by Martin Norgaard
- Turnaround Town:
- 15 Performance: Martin Norgaard (vln) and Paul Nelson (vcl)
- play all parts and solos
- 16 Play-along: Empty back up track
- Lesson 3: Inner Melodies
- 17 Play-along: Inner melody in whole notes
- 18 Play-along: Inner melody with rhythms
- 19 Play-along: Inner melody with improvised rhythms
- 20 Q & A: Inner Melody with embellishments
- 21 Performance: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 22 Play-along: Empty back up track using Northern Light solo progression
- Advanced: How did we find the inner melody?
- Written exercise: Find new inner melody
- Northern Light:
- 23 Performance: Martin Morgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 24 Play-along: Empty back up track
- Lesson 4: Changing Scales Using Inner Melodies
- 25 Play-along: Inner melody in whole notes
- 26 Play-along: Inner melody with rhythms
- 27 Play-along: The D Mixolydian scale
- 28 Play-along: Inner Melody on one-measure phrases
- 29 Play-along: Improvise one-measure figure and apple inner melody
- 30 Play-along: Copy and improvise two-measure lick
- and apply inner melody
- 31 Play-along: Four-measure blues phrases
- 32 Performance: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 33 Play-along: Empty back up track using Lazy Note
- Blues solo progression
- Advanced: How did we find the inner melodies on the blues
- Lazy Note Blues:
- 34 Play-along: Martin Norgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 35 Play-along: Empty back up track
- Lesson 5: Aeolian Minor
- 36 Q & A: Latin rhythms
- 37 Play-along: The A Aeolian minor scale
- 38 Play-along: The A Aeolian minor scale with rhythms
- 39 Q & A: Repeat or answer phrases
- 40 Q & A: Play answer phrases only
- 41 Q & A: Play question phrases only
- 42 Play-along: Play both question and answer phrases
- 43 Performance: Example solo by Martin Norgaard
- 44 Play-along: Empty back up track using La Luna
- Solo progression
- La Luna:
- 45 Play-along: Martin Norgaard and Paul Nelson play all parts and solo
- 46 Play-along: Empty back up track
Jazz Cello Wizard, Junior, Book 2
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Jazz Cello Wizard, Junior, Book 2
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Cello Sheet Music
Genre: Jazz Sheet Music
Series: Jazz Wizard