There are currently no items in your cart.
Indeterminacy - Ninety Stories composed by John Cage (1912-1992). Edited by Eddie Kohler. For Speaker (with or without accompaniment). This edition: Performance Edition. Music Boutique. Modern. Booklet, plus 90 story cards for performance. Duration variable duration. Published by Edition Peters (PE.P68142).
ISBN 979-0-3007-5493-2. Modern.
Cage selected these stories, in this order, for his 1959 Folkways recording (available as a reissue from Smithsonian Folkways), but the performer may choose a smaller number. However, some stories are related, and "attaca" symbols are at the end of each story which continues in the next. Each story, when properly performed, has a duration of about 60 seconds, though some can take slightly longer to perform to ensure that no mistakes in the reading are made (this is very important!); the overall time should then be made up by speeding up one of the shorter stories to compensate. Time brackets on the cards enclose roughly every 10 seconds worth of text. A stopwatch or watch could be used to help a performer keep time. The stories should be read in a natural, conversational voice, so amplification is recommended for performance. Cage performed this work both with and without accompaniment, so the performer can choose either way; if accompaniment is used, it should not be synchronized (that is, loud sounds may occasionally drown out the reading).
Performance edition. Boxed set includes booklet with performance instructions (pacing, tone, selection, accompaniment), the history of and a bibliography about the work, a list of the variant texts used by Cage in his printed and spoken versions, plus a 5-page index which lists references and topics covered in the stories. The "score" for this work consists of ninety numbered stories, each printed on its own individual 5"x7" card. Reprinted in agreement with Wesleyan University Press and the John Cage Trust.
Indeterminacy - Ninety Stories
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Indeterminacy - Ninety Stories
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
More by this Composer: John Cage Sheet Music
Genre: 20th Century Sheet Music
Format: Flash Cards & Games