There are currently no items in your cart.
Hymn for Africa composed by Peter Meechan. For concert band (Flute 1, Flute 2/Piccolo, Oboe, Bb Clarinet 1, Bb Clarinet 2, Bb Clarinet 3, Bb Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Bb Trumpet 1, Bb Trumpet 2, Bb Trumpet 3, Horn in F 1/2, Horn in F 3/4, Trombone 1/2, Trombone). Grade 3. Score and parts. Duration 4:15. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.R10293).
Inspired by the release of Nelson Mandela in the early 1990s, "Hymn for Africa" pays tribute to the sense of dignity and peace that he brought not only to South Africa, but around the entire globe. As the beautifully lush chorale unfolds, quietly undulating drums murmur in the distance and gradually build into a rousing climax.
Hymn for Africa was written as part of a project known as Brass Band Aid. When I was asked to compose a piece with relevance to Africa for the project, I began to think of all the things that I associate with Africa. I have vivid memories from my childhood of the hard-hitting news reports from the famines of the early/mid 1980's (and the concerts that followed). I also associate Africa with amazing animal life - the many species from snakes to birds to lions, with their many colours. But more than these associations, there is one memory that stands out amongst all others. The release of Nelson Mandela in the early 1990's had a profound effect not only in South Africa, but all over the continent of Africa, as well as the World as a whole. The fact that one man can achieve this with peace and great dignity will always be an inspiration, not only to me, but many, many millions of humans around the globe. "Hymn for Africa" is inspired by this sense of dignity and peace. A simple eight bar melody is the basis of the composition. A drone is then added, before a chorale, and finally a rousing climax when the percussion and full band enter. The piece dedicated to Bob and Briony Thompson in admiration.
Hymn for Africa
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Hymn for Africa
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 3