There are currently no items in your cart.
Halcyon Deconstruction composed by Nathan Daughtrey. For Marimba (4-mallet) & CD (5-octave Marimba CD Accompaniment). Medium difficult. Duration 10:15. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.19230).
Adapted from the original version for solo marimba and percussion quartet, "Halcyon Deconstruction" seeks to emulate the sounds of traditional acoustic percussion instruments while gradually devolving into a much more electronic atmosphere. Programmatically, the 10-minute piece tells the heartbreaking yet uplifting tale of Alcyone and Ceyx from Ovid's Metamorphoses.
The phrase "Halcyon Days" (HAL-see-uhn) refers to a period of peace and tranquility. It can also harken back to an earlier time that is remembered as idyllic, whether accurately or not. I researched the mythological origins of this phrase to gather more inspiration for the piece. According to Ovid's Metamorphoses, Alcyone (al-SAHY-uh-nee) was the daughter of Aeolus (EE-uh-luhs), King of the Winds, and the wife of Ceyx (SEE-iks). Alcyone and Ceyx were very much in love and were never willingly apart. Ceyx decided he must make a long journey across the sea to consult the oracle of Apollo at Delphi. Knowing the danger of such a journey, Alcyone was overwhelmed with grief and terror and begged him not to go. Ceyx left anyway and died tragically in a shipwreck. The gods came to Alcyone in a dream and told her of her husband's death. Stricken with grief, she jumped into the sea, but the Gods took pity on her and before she could be overcome by the waves, she was transformed into a kingfisher (also called a halcyon). Ceyx was changed into a bird as well and their love was blessed for all time. In their honor, Zeus forbade the winds to blow for seven days prior to and seven days following the Winter Solstice so Alcyone & Ceyx could safely brood over their nests near the waters. Their tragic love story has given us the very word that means calm, contentment and happiness. The music follows the arc of the story fairly closely, dividing into six sections - Alcyone & Ceyx (m. 1-37), Ceyx at Sea (m. 38-90), Turbulent Waters (91-167), The Fall of Ceyx (m. 168-172), Metamorphosis (m. 173-201) & Halcyon Days (m. 202-end). The melodic/harmonic material is derived from 4 chords and pitch sets, which help to unify the piece. The original version for solo marimba and percussion quartet, titled Halcyon Days, was commissioned by a consortium of percussionists and educators that was organized by Josh Knight.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Format: Accompaniment CD