Gypsy Swing & Hot Club Rhythm for Mandolin
Mandolin - Beginning-Intermediate
Composed by Dix Bruce. Saddle-stitched, Play Along. Jazz. Book/CD Set. 40 pages. Published by Musix (MB.902BCD).
Item Number: MB.902BCD
ISBN 9780786677733. Jazz. 8.5 x 11 inches.
Learn 12 great swing standards recorded by Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, and the Quintette of the Hot Club of France. Play along with a great Gypsy Swing Rhythm Section and learn chords, comping, and melodies, then let the band back you up as you practice chords and soloing. You play all the leads while the band backs you up. Beginners can practice basic skills while more advanced players can hone their improvisation chops, each at their own individual learning pace.
Includes standard notation, tablature, chord diagrams, lyrics, playing tips, and more. Each song is presented on the CD at slow and regular speed. First you'll hear the melody played on mandolin at a slow speed with just guitar backup, then it's repeated at regular speed with the band. Split track mixing on the recording allows the student to hear just the melody (while reading along in the book) or just the rhythm section, or both for maximum flexibility and specific study. Finally the band plays several choruses and you play all the leads. Songs may be repeated, at slow or regular speed, as many times as you wish in order to perfect phrases, melodies and solos in a band context.
Includes special section on how to play rhythm back up chords and get that swing pulse on mandolin. Potential for improvement is unlimited. Guitar version also available. We'll jam all night long!
- After You've Gone Performed by Creamer & Layton
- Avalon Performed by Jolson & Rose
- Baby Won't You Please Come Home? Performed by C. Williams & C. Warfield
- Chicago Performed by F. Fisher
- China Boy Performed by D. Winfree & P. Boutelje
- Dark Eyes
- Rose Room Performed by A. Hickman & H. Williams
- Some of These Days Performed by Sheldon Brooks
- St. Louis Blues Performed by W.C. Handy
- Swing in Minor Performed by Dix Bruce
- Swingin' Like '42 Performed by Dix Bruce
- The Sheik Of Araby Performed by T. Snyder, H. Smith & F. Wheeler