There are currently no items in your cart.
Greek Folk Dances composed by Bruce Fraser. For concert band (Flute 1, Flute 2, Oboe, Bb Clarinet 1, Bb Clarinet 2, Bb Clarinet 3, Bb Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Horn in F 1/2, Bb Trumpet 1, Bb Trumpet 2, Bb Trumpet 3, Trombone 1/2, Euphonium, Baritone T.C., Tuba,). Grade 3.5. Score only. Duration 5:30. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.S11295).
Greek Folk Dances captures the excitement of two dance styles the composer encountered while on holiday in the Greek Islands - the Hasapiko and the Syrto. The first is slow and dramatic dance that plods along showcasing the solo clarinet, while the second is a blazing fast fire dance that alternates between 4/4, 3/4 and 7/8.
The inspiration for these dances came from my first proper cruise in 2007, when we traveled around Greek islands and spent a week on the island of Corfu. Traditional music was all around us and we had the chance to watch and take part in some dancing. I began to formulate mu own ideas into two of the dance styles I had encountered - the Hasapiko and the Syrto. The Hasapiko is a butcher dance where the dancers put their arms around each other's shoulders and move in a slow side to side motion, dragging the insides of their feet on the ground. The music often speeds up, but not necessarily. The Syrto is much faster, again with arms around shoulders. Often a solo dancer breaks away, doing acrobatic dance tricks in the middle of the circle. I observed solo fire dancing among flames sprayed onto the ground using some flammable liquid. I have tried to capture some of the excitement of this. The Syrto can be in 3/4 time or 7/8 time, or a mixture of the two. I have used all three options in a gradual speeding up process charging towards a hugely energetic ending.
Greek Folk Dances
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Greek Folk Dances
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More by this Composer: Bruce Fraser Sheet Music Bruce Fraser B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Euphonium Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Horn Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Trombone Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Tuba Sheet Music Bruce Fraser Concert Band Sheet Music
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Genre: Folk Sheet Music
Level: Grade 3