There are currently no items in your cart.
Gateway to French Mélodies (High Voice). Edited by John Glenn Paton. For Voice (High voice (Medium-High)). Book; Masterworks; Vocal Collection. Gateway Series. Masterwork. 240 pages. Published by Alfred Music (AP.36533).
ISBN 0739074148. Masterwork.
Gateway to French Mélodies leads us into a fragrant garden of poetry and music that is both passionate and refined. Each song brings to life one of the great themes of French art– love, nature, the purpose of life--with sensuous beauty, beguiling grace, and often with humor.
Understanding what you sing is the basic concept of the Gateway series. Each lyric is translated, both word-by-word and in readable English. The singer can learn the song with confidence, as obscure points of phonetics, grammar and interpretation are made clear. The cultural context of each song is illuminated, along with its place in the life and works of the composer. The comb binding creates a lay-flat book that is perfect for study and performance.
Many of the marvelous songs found here been out of print for more than a century and a few are published here for the very first time. The songs include:
"Plaisir d’amour," the quintessential song of bittersweet love, edited from the composer’s original 1784 edition
Seven works by women composers, including two sisters who were divas of Romantic opera, Maria Malibran and Pauline Viardot
Works of French operatic masters such as Gounod, Saint-Saëns, Bizet, and Massenet
Six songs by Gabriel Fauré and four by Claude Debussy
Two duets from contrasting historical periods
Piano accompaniments are heard on the companion CD, beautifully played by Joan Thompson and expertly engineered by Grammy Award winner Matthew Snyder.
French Publications; Recorded Acc. Available.
- Plaisir d'amour (Florian) Composed by Jean Paul Egide Martini
- Romance d'Arabelle (Millevoye) Composed by Pierre Garat
- La jalousie (anonymous) Composed by Pauline Duchambge
- Puisqu'ici-bas tout ame (Hugo) Composed by Louis Niedermeyer
- L'Andalouse (Musset) Composed by Hippolyte Monpou
- Duet: Belle, viens a moi (Desbordes-Valmore) Composed by Maria Malibran
- Tristesse de l'odalisque (Gautier) Composed by Felicien David
- Chanson de patre (Augier) Composed by Charles Francois Gounod
- Serenade (Hugo) Composed by Charles Francois Gounod
- Le doux sommeil (Ronsard) Composed by Theodore Gouvy
- L'ombre et le jour (Turquety) Composed by Pauline Viardot
- Bonjour, mon coeur (Ronsard) Composed by Pauline Viardot
- Au jardin de mon pere (anonymous) Composed by Pauline Viardot
- Berceuse (Bordese) Composed by Pauline Viardot
- Dieu qui sourit (Hugo) Composed by Edouard Lalo
- Oh, quand je dors (Hugo) Composed by Edouard Lalo
- Clair de lune (Mendes) Composed by Camille Saint-Saens
- Pourquoi rester seulette (Croze) Composed by Camille Saint-Saens
- Sonnet (Ronsard) Composed by Georges Bizet
- Sonnet melancolique (Silvestre) Composed by Alexis De Castillon,Alexis De Castillon
- Lied (Mendes) Composed by Alexis Emmanuel Chabrier
- Souvenir de Venise (Musset) Composed by Jules Massenet
- Ouvre tes yeux bleus (Robiquet) Composed by Jules Massenet
- Le voyage (Florian) Composed by Emile Paladilhe
- Puisque j'ai mis ma levre (Hugo) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- Les berceaux (Prudhomme ) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- Le secret (Silvestre) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- Aurore (Silvestre) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- Nocturne (Villiers) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- En priere (Bordese) Composed by Gabriel Faure
- Extase (Lahor) Composed by Henri Duparc
- Le manoir de Rosemonde (Bonnieres) Composed by Henri Duparc
- Duet: La nuit (Banville) Composed by Ernest Chausson
- Romance (Bourget) Composed by Claude Debussy
- Il pleure dans mon coeur (Verlaine) Composed by Claude Debussy
- En sourdine (Verlaine) Composed by Claude Debussy
- Clair de lune (Verlaine) Composed by Claude Debussy
- Que me font ces vallons (Lamartine) Composed by Erik Satie
- Quand reverrai-je, helas! (Bellay) Composed by Andre Caplet
- En regardant ces belles fleurs (d'Orleans) Composed by Andre Caplet
- Colombine (Verlaine) Composed by Poldowski
Gateway to French Mélodies
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Gateway to French Mélodies
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Series: Gateway Series