From Dixie to Swing
Music Minus One Drums. Composed by Various. Music Minus One. Softcover with CD. 16 pages. Music Minus One #MMO5011. Published by Music Minus One (HL.400759).
Item Number: HL.400759
ISBN 1596151269. 9x12.25 inches.
Such jazz legends as Dick Wellstood, Alphonse 'Doc' Cheatham, George Duvivier and Vic Dickenson back you up in this amazing collection of New York-style Dixieland standards. After the break-up of the big-band era around 1950, many of the finest 'swing' or mainstream players found themselves without an outlet for their abilities and took to playing 'Dixieland' in New York clubs such as Eddie Condon's and the Metropole. And so was born a new style of Dixieland jazz minus the banjos, tubas, steamboats and magnolias! It is this version we celebrate on this album. We encourage you, the soloist, to invent counter-melodies rather than mere harmony parts. This is a music of loose weaving parts, not one of precision ensemble figures. And in short, it is one of the greatest improvisational experiences any jazz player could hope to have. Includes a high-quality printed music score and compact disc featuring stereo accompaniments to each piece.
Performed by Gus Johnson, Jr., drum demo
Accompaniment: “Doc” Cheatham, trpt; Kenny Davern, clar. & soprano sax; Vic Dickenson, trombone; Dick Wellstood, piano; Geo. Duvivier, bass.
- Way Down Yonder In New Orleans Performed by Henry Creamer; Turner Layton
- Red Sails In The Sunset Performed by Will Grosz (pseud. Hugh Williams) (m); Jimmy Kennedy (l); (arr. Wellstood)
- Second Hand Rose Performed by James F. Hanley (m); Grant Clarke (l); (arr. Wellstood)
- The Royal Garden Blues Performed by Spencer Williams & Clarence Williams(m&l); (arr. Wellstood)
- Rose Of Washington Square Performed by James F. Hanley (m); Ballard MacDonald (l); (arr. Wellstood)
- On The Sunny Side Of The Street Performed by Jimmy McHugh (m); Dorothy Fields (l); (arr. Wellstood)
- I Want A Little Girl Performed by Murray Mencher (m); Billy Moll (l); (arr. Wellstood)
- Exactly Like You Performed by Jimmy McHugh (m); Dorothy Fields (l); (arr. Wellstood)
Customers Who Bought From Dixie to Swing Also Bought: