Fingerstyle & Slide Guitar in Open Tunings
Guitar (fingerpicking) - Intermediate
Composed by John Fahey. Saddle-stitched, Solos. Grossman Audio. All Styles. Book/3-CD Set. Published by Grossman's Guitar Workshop (MB.99801BCD).
Item Number: MB.99801BCD
ISBN 9780786662074. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
John Fahey was a pioneer in composing and arranging guitar solos in open tunings. In this lesson series for the intermediate guitarist, John teaches a wide variety of techniques, musical textures and styles. The book includes the notation and tablature for the lessons plus 3 compact discs featuring phrase-by-phrase instruction. LESSON ONE: Open G tuning: On the Sunny Side of the Ocean, Spanish Two Step and It Came Upon A Midnight Clear. St.Louis Blues played in a dropped D tuning. LESSON TWO: In this lesson John explores the possibilities of playing in an open C tuning. The Union Pacific has a distinct blues quality, Requiem For John Hurt has an "Eastern" feel. Simplicity often creates beauty and John does this with his version of Auld Lang Syne. LESSON THREE: This lesson concentrates on John's slide guitar playing. Steamboat Gwine Round The Bend played in open G demonstrating many of John's unique technical ideas. The Christmas carol Silent Night is presented in the slide style. John's popular arrangement of Poor Boy A Long Way From Home played in open D tuning finishes the series.
- On the Sunny Side of the Ocean Performed by John Fahey
- Spanish Two Step Performed by John Fahey
- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear Performed by Arr. By John Fahey
- St. Louis Blues Performed by Traditional, Arranged And Adapted By John Fahey
- The Union Pacific Performed by John Fahey
- Requiem for John Hurt Performed by John Fahey
- Auld Lang Syne Performed by Traditional, Arr. By John Fahey
- Steamboat Gwine 'Round the Bend Performed by John Fahey
- Silent Night, Holy Night Performed by Adapted By John Fahey
- Poor Boy a Long Way from Home Performed by Booker White And John Fahey