Favorite Nocturnes and Other Works for Piano
Composed by John Field (1782-1837). Masterworks; Piano Collection. Dover Edition. Classical Period. Collection. With standard notation, fingerings and introductory text (does not include words to the songs). 56 pages. Published by Dover Publications (AP.6-441598).
Item Number: AP.6-441598
ISBN 0486441598. 9x12 inches.
An influential early Romantic composer for piano, John Field (1782-1837) redefined the term "Nocturne." Formerly used to designate music to be performed at night, nocturnes came to be regarded as music that is of a nocturnal mood. Field's dreamy, poetic style contrasted sharply with that of his contemporaries, who favored exhibitions of clarity and velocity, and his works exerted a lasting effect on such later composers as Chopin, Liszt, and Schumann.This new collection, compiled and edited by piano Scholar Joseph Smith, Brings toegether the most popular and often performed of Field's Nocturnes, along with a selection of his most important solo piano works. The 'March Trimophale en Honneur des Victories du General Wittgenstein' commerorates Russia's 1812 victory over France. A native of Ireland, Field spent most of his life and career in Russia, where he pioneered the musical use of Russian folk motifs. In addition to a half-dozen of the composer's other popular nocturnes, this compilation features 'The Troubadour,' a fine but often overlooked work, and the crowd-pleasing rondo, 'Twelve O'Clock.'.
- Chanson Russe Variee H. 41 C.1818
- The Troubador-Notturno, H. 55 C.1832
- MArche Triomphale en Honneur des Victories du General Compte de Witgenstein, H. 16 1812-12
- Twelve O'Clock, H. 13K 1832
- No. 1, Eb major, H. 24 1812
- No. 2, C minor, H. 25 1812
- No. 3, Ab major, H. 26 1812
- No. 4, A major, H. 36 1817
- No. 5, Bb major, H. 37 1817
- No. 8, E minor, H. 46 1821-22
- No. 11, Eb major, H. 56 1833
- No. 12, G major, H. 58 1834
- No. 14, C major, H. 60 1835
Customers Who Bought Favorite Nocturnes and Other Works for Piano Also Bought: