There are currently no items in your cart.
- Look inside(1)
Score and Parts
Set of Parts
Fantasia 1-3 by Henry Purcell (1659-1695). Arranged by Olaf Muhlenhardt. Saxophone Trio. For Saxophone Trio. Full Score and Set of Parts. Published by Advance Music (AV.7732).
Henry Purcell (1659 - 1695) composed the Fantasias for String Instruments with three to seven parts in the summer of 1680 at the age of 21 for the traditional Viol Consorts, at a time when the instruments were already being replaced by the more 'modern' violins. The Fantasias surprise us today with unusual harmonic turns and rather strong dissonances. Despite their apparent technical accessibility, the syncopated rhythms in these pieces require the performer's special attention. Another appealing peculiarity is the abundance of different moods within one movement accomplished by abrupt changes of tempo, harmony, articulation and dynamics. Tempo instructions are original while metronome markings and ritardandi are merely intended as a basis for your own interpretation. The close relationship between speech and music in the baroque era suggests an increased awareness for articulation: clarity of pronoun-ciation is the main objective. One should (in case of doubt even in slow and supposedly legato passages) articulate lightly and create space for beginnings of tones (upbeats and syncopation) and entries of other parts by slight separation. Today's tenuto and sostenuto are the exception in baroque music. Dynamics are mostly evident through tempo and harmony. Proper balance between the parts is crucial to achieve transparency of poly-phony. All parts are equally important. In this arrangement of the first three Fantasias for saxophones the first part can be played by the alto or the soprano saxophone. While the alto saxophone part corresponds to Purcell's original, the soprano part had to be slighty modified to fit the instrument's range. The changes in the baritone part were made to fit instruments without the low A. Olaf Muhlenhardt, November 2004.
$8.95_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '3863095']);
$21.95_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '17446403']);
$10.00_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '18452578']);
$12.50_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '3976851']);
$15.95_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '19470439']);
$12.00_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Recommendations', 'Clicked - PD Page', '19476059']);
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument: Saxophone Sheet Music
Ensemble: Woodwind Trio Music
Genre: Baroque Period Sheet Music