There are currently no items in your cart.
Desert Sands composed by Soon Hee Newbold. For string orchestra. Orchestra. FJH Beginning Strings. Grade 1.5. Score and set of parts. Duration 2 minutes, 10 seconds. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.ST6160).
A unique and colorful piece for this level, Desert Sands introduces limited low first and second fingers to beginning players. The result is a fun, ethnic sounding piece accessible to young orchestras as they imagine caravans traveling across the desert. In the usual Newbold tradition, everyone gets a chance at the melody in this cinematic sounding score.
Caravans and camels traveling across the desert are images I used while writing this piece. My sister had a brilliant American cello teacher who had taught in Egypt for a few years. When she came back to the United States, she introduced young players to low 1st finger with Go Tell Aunt Rhody by replacing some of the 1st fingers with a low 1st fingering. She called her rendition Rhody Goes to Cairo, and would even have cello students do a little belly dance whenever they played the low 1st finger. These performances were always a huge hit with students and audiences, so this piece is written in honor of my sister and her favorite cello teacher. Desert Sands has limited low 1st and 2nd fingers throughout the piece. The melody is very legato, while harmony parts are a bit accented, short, and rhythmic.
About FJH Beginning Strings
Appropriate for first year string students. All instruments stay in first position, and optional third violin (viola) parts and piano are included to aid in rehearsal and performance situations. Grade 1 - 1.5
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: String Orchestra Music
Genre: Classical Sheet Music
Series: FJH Beginning Strings