There are currently no items in your cart.
Dave Stryker's Jazz Guitar Improvisation Method composed by Dave Stryker. For Guitar (All). Saddle-stitched, Improvisation. Jazz. Intermediate-Advanced. Book/CD Set. 56 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.21114BCD).
ISBN 9780786672769. Jazz. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Dave explains his approach to jazz improvisation with musical examples that he himself uses, learned from years of playing with the greats - after learning how to play jazz from listening to players such as Grant Green, Wes Montgomery and Pat Martino. Explains the minor sub approach using minor scales to play over dominant seventh chords, and then includes several solos over often-played jazz standards, using this approach. Also described are the use of the blues and pentatonic scales as well as be-bop ideas, the melodic minor scale, and whole-tone and diminished scales and patterns. Hanon-type warm up exercises and Dave's own fingerings shown in tab are also described. Perfect for intermediate-to-more advanced players, Dave's concise way of explaining his approach will open up the students to developing their own improvisational ideas. Dave plays the examples and solos on the companion CD including tracks with a rhythm only section for student play-along.
- Notes from Dave
- Often Asked Questions about Music
- The Minor Sub Approach
- Chord - Scale Chart
- Passing Tones
- Sub Approach Exercises
- Solo Ideas for "Autumn Leaves"
- Solo Ideas for "Well You Needn't"
- Minor Sub Arpeggio Blues Exercise
- Minor Sub Arpeggio Blues Exercise with Step Approach
- Blues No. 1
- Blues #1 Solo Using Minor Sub Approach
- F Blues Scale
- Blues in F No. 2
- Blues in F No. 3
- Using the Blues Scale and Minor Arpeggios for Solo Ideas on "Song for My Father"
- Solo Ideas for "Song for My Father"
- Pentatonic Scales
- Solo Ideas for "Blue Bossa" Using Pentatonic Scales and Patterns
- Turnarounds and Bebop Phrases
- Solo Ideas for "Afternoon in Paris" Using Bebop Phrases and Turnarounds
- The Melodic Minor Scale
- Whole Tone Scale and Patterns
- Diminished Scales and Patterns
- C Minor Blues
- Solo Ideas for "All the Things You Are"
- Solo Ideas for "(I Got) Rhythm Changes"
- Solo Ideas for "Cherokee"
- "Giant Steps"
- Hanon-Type Warm-Up Exercises for Guitar
- About the Author
Dave Stryker's Jazz Guitar Improvisation Method
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Dave Stryker's Jazz Guitar Improvisation Method
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instrument: Electric Guitar Sheet Music
Genre: Jazz Sheet Music