There are currently no items in your cart.
Crossing to Scotland composed by Abby Newton. For Cello. Saddle-stitched, Transcribed Solos. Scottish. Beginning-Intermediate. Book. 32 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.98011).
ISBN 9780786644520. Scottish. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Today the cello is usually considered a classical instrument, but from the late 17th to early 19th centuries it was used in folk ensembles to provide low, driving rhythms for dance tunes and to render haunting Scottish airs. Within the folk music revival of the past forty years there has been a small but dedicated movement to restore the unique richness of the cello to traditional music, and Abby Newton has been on the forefront of that movement. Abby has been deeply involved with Scottish music ever since, traveling to and performing in Scotland many times. The airs, planxties and reels in this book come from traditional and contemporary sources, including the 18th-century fiddler Neil Gow, harper Turlough O'Carolan, Daithi Sproule, David Hornung, Alasdair Fraser, Ronnie Aimes, and others. All 19 of the tunes are written for solo cello with chord symbols included on most tunes for an accompanying instrument. The text also includes the author's notes on the origin of each tune.
- Cropie's Strathspey Performed by Abby Newton
- Da New Rigged Ship Performed by Abby Newton
- Gin Ye Kiss My Wife, I'll Tell The Minister Performed by Abby Newton
- Sister Jean Performed by Abby Newton
- Tarboltan Lodge Performed by Abby Newton
- The Earl Of Dalhousie's Happy Return To Scotland Performed by Abby Newton
- Da Full Rigged Ship Performed by Abby Newton
- Independence Trail Performed by Abby Newton
- Loftus Jones Performed by Abby Newton
- Catskill Mountain Air Performed by Abby Newton
- Sleep Sound In Da Morning Performed by Abby Newton
- Wagon Wheel Notch Performed by Abby Newton
- Lasses Trust In Providence Performed by Abby Newton
- Heroes Of Longhope Performed by Abby Newton
- O'Carolan's Draught Performed by Abby Newton
- Tune For Mairead And Anna Ni Mhaonaigh Performed by Abby Newton
- Spootiskerry Performed by Abby Newton
- Crossing To Ireland Performed by Abby Newton
- Drunk At Night, Dry In The Morning Performed by Abby Newton
Crossing to Scotland
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Crossing to Scotland
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Cello Sheet Music
Genre: Scottish Sheet Music
Format: Collection / Songbook