There are currently no items in your cart.
Creative Comping Concepts for Jazz Guitar by Mark Boling. For Guitar (All). Saddle-stitched, Rhythm/Backup. Private Lessons Series. Jazz. Intermediate-Advanced. Book/CD Set. 40 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.20414BCD).
ISBN 9780786671861. Jazz. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
Pianists are the main sources of inspiration for new developments in jazz guitar comping. Yet guitarists have been slow to develop a comping vocabulary with harmonic sophistication, subtle voiceleading, and rhythmic flexibility on the level of the best contemporary pianists. This book seeks to remedy the situation by articulating a comping vocabulary in the context of six of the most often played tunes in jazz: 12-bar blues, rhythm changes, minor blues, a modal tune, and a couple of standards. The comps are written out in notation and tablature and include rhythms with forward motion, chords built in fourth intervals, parallel constant structure voicings, polychords, slash chords, etc. The focus is on developing a contemporary approach to rhythm, phrasing, chord voicings, voiceleading, chord substitution, and reharmonization. A play-along CD recording of the guitar comps with bass and drums helps get the sounds and rhythms in your ear. The theory of how the comping concepts are applied to the music is explained, with ideas on how to use them creatively.
- CHORD VOICINGS
- Voicings in Thirds
- Drop-2 and Drop-3 voicings
- Guide Tone Voicings
- Voicings in Fourths
- Voicings in Fourths and Pentatonic Scales
- Voicings Derived from the Minor 6 Pentatonic Scale
- Voicings Using Combinations of Intervals
- Slash Chords
- Common Tones
- Direction of Top Voice
- Parallel Motion with Constant Structure Voicings
- Intervallic Voiceleading
- CHORD SUBSTITUTION AND REHARMONIZATION
- Diatonic Substitution from the Third
- Diatonic Passing Chords
- Add a Related Ilmi7 Before Any Dominant 7
- Alter Dominant 7 Chords That Resolve Down a Perfect 5th
- Chromatic Approach
- Dominant Approach
- Cycle of Dominants as a Reharmonization Technique
- Cycle of II-Vs as a Reharmonization Technique
- Chromatically Ascending 4th
- C Minor Blues
- Blues In F
- Soul Three
- Whole Nother Standard
Creative Comping Concepts for Jazz Guitar
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Creative Comping Concepts for Jazz Guitar
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Electric Guitar Sheet Music
Genre: Jazz Sheet Music
Series: Private Lessons Series