Contemporary Collage - Music of the 21st Century, Volume 1, Book 2
Piano - Late Elementary through Intermediate
Composed by Various. Edited by Helen Marlais. Performance. The FJH Contemporary Keyboard Editions. Contemporary. Book. Published by The FJH Music Company Inc (FJ.J1024).
Item Number: FJ.J1024
This second book in this collection features exciting solos and duets by nine leading FJH composers that will further expand the student's concept of rhythm, harmony, sound and texture. The pieces utilize musical techniques such as ametric and mixed meters, nontraditional harmonic and melodic patterns, varying rhythmic patterns, and much more. This collection provides a valuable means for students to explore contemporary music and ignite their imaginations.
About FJH Contemporary Keyboard Editions
The FJH Contemporary Keyboard Editions is a series that focuses on the best contemporary music for keyboard of the late 20th and early 21st centuries. These collected works by some of today's leading art-music composers will expand a student's concept of rhythm, harmony, sound, and texture. While the composers invited to write for this series use a colorful palette of contemporary techniques and textures, they were selected for their strong musical voices, which ensure that the ultimate goal of musical communication is never lost.
Too often, both students and teachers get discouraged with contemporary compositions because of their avant-garde sound. This series addresses that concern by providing excellent music which is both contemporary and intuitively musical. Contemporary performance practices such as depressing keys silently, cluster sounds, pedal effects, knocking on the keyboard, contemporary harmonies, jazz idioms, bitonality, modes, mixed and changing meters, and 12-tone techniques challenge the student to listen for new rhythmic gestures and tonal colors and expand their interpretive capacity.
While expanding students' horizons, this series helps to confirm and reinforce the musical and technical concepts they are learning in their other repertoire. The natural musicality present in each of these pieces demands the same kind of careful attention that we expect from the standard canon of repertoire.
This series is carefully leveled into the following categories: elementary, intermediate, early advanced, and advanced. Each of the works has been selected for its artistic as well as its pedagogical merit.
- Starry Night Performed by Dimitar Ninov
- Dizzy Clown Performed by Martin Kutnowski
- Until... Performed by Kevin Olson
- My Favorite Blues Performed by Dimitar Ninov
- The Lonely Swing in the Rainy Playground Performed by Martin Kutnowski
- Knights and Castles Performed by Martin Kutnowski
- Waltz Together Slowly Performed by Emma Lou Diemer
- Etude in Seconds (Op. 149, No. 1) Performed by Dianne Goolkasian Rahbee
- Jumping Triads (Op. 146, No. 5) Performed by Dianne Goolkasian Rahbee
- Cross Over (rh/lh) for Rightie Performed by Arthur Frackenpohl
- Folk Dance (Op. 146, No. 4) Performed by Dianne Goolkasian Rahbee
- The Old Fox Performed by Andrey Komanetsky
- Water Droplets Performed by Wynn-Anne Rossi
- Analacia's Dance Performed by Timothy Brown
- Solar Flares Performed by Kevin Olson
- Happy Thoughts Performed by Emma Lou Diemer
- Woodland Fairy Waltz Performed by Wynn-Anne Rossi
- Soundscape Performed by Timothy Brown
- As Darkness Falls Performed by Timothy Brown
- Finger Snapper Performed by Andrey Komanetsky
- Cluster-rific Performed by Kevin Olson
- About the Composers