There are currently no items in your cart.
Score and Parts
Set of Parts
Concertino by Dwayne Rice. Marimba Solo with Percussion Ensemble. For solo marimba & percussion ensemble (5 marimbas (2 low c, 2 low A, 1 four octave), 2 vibraphones, xylophone, bells). Level 5. Score and set of parts. Duration 8 minutes, 50 seconds. Published by Innovative Percussion (IP.E-DR-CON).
Analysis: "Concertino" features a marimba soloist utilizing a five-octave marimba skillfully woven within a mallet septet of xylophone, two vibraphones, and four marimbas. Three of the marimba parts are written for a low-A instrument and the bass part uses a second five-octave marimba. Commissioned by the Trinity High School Percussion Ensemble directed by Michael Mathew and dedicated to Andrew Eldridge, "Concertino" was premiered at PASIC 2006 in Austin, Texas by Trinity High School with Eldridge as the marimba soloist. After a brief opening chorale by the soloist, "Concertino" begins with a presto 12/8 that gradually adds the entire ensemble before the soloist enters. Here, the real power of the work is focused on the solo marimba. Written for an advanced player, Rice artfully takes the soloist through motives containing bold eighth-note passages with quick double-lateral passages and sextuplets spanning the range of the instrument. Rice avoids-over writing" and gives both the soloist and the ensemble plenty of space for development. The dialogue and pacing between the soloist and ensemble is strong and compelling. While the solo part is challenging but accessible, the ensemble parts are not too difficult. The work concludes with a powerful statement by the soloist with the ensemble accentuating downbeats. The final moments might have been even stronger had the ensemble imitated the soloist's musical direction. "Concertino" has an attractive, progressive harmonic atmosphere and there are tuneful sections primarily performed by the vibraphones and xylophone. A through-composed work, Rice combines staggered arpeggiated patterns and ostinatos to create ensemble drive and interest in a similar manner to David Gillingham's compositions. Yet, while Gillingham's works often focus on melodic and timbre development, Rice effectively chooses to concentrate on motivic and rhythmic development utilizing texture and chordal shifts. The result is a solid, driving work featuring an advanced marimbist. - Mark Ford Percussive Notes, June 2007.
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble Music