Complete Sor Studies for Guitar
Guitar (classical) - Multiple Levels
Composed by David Grimes. Perfect binding, Solos. Editiones Classicae. Classic. Book. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.95110).
Item Number: MB.95110
ISBN 9781562229474. 9 x 11.75 inches.
The guitar studies of Fernando Sor (1778-1839) have long been valued highly among the indispensable elements of a guitarist's training. A number of prominent virtuosi attribute a large portion of their development to the diligent study of these works. Sor's studies address an impressive array of technical and musical topics, including proper left-hand fingering, training of the right hand, interval and chord formations, scales, arpeggios, repeated notes, ligados, barring, natural harmonics, control of note duration, balance of melody versus accompaniment, and the handling of contrapuntal voices. A careful study of these pieces will lay the groundwork for a solid technique and allow the guitarist to build the control necessary for the expression of his or her musical concepts. In preparing this edition David Grimes worked with Sor's original publications, but incorporated some alterations that appear in those studies that Napoleon Coste chose to include in his Methode complete pour la Guitarre par Ferdinand Sor. Furthermore, Mr. Grimes has corrected misprints, modernized the notation and rectified some inconsistencies. Finally, some developments in technique since Sor's day have been incorporated in this edition.
- Twenty-Four Little Progressive Pieces, To Serve As Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 44
- Twenty-Four Easy Exercises Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 35
- Studies For Guitar Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 6
- Introduction To The Study Of Guitar Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 60
- Twelve Studies For The Guitar Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 29
- Twenty-Four Progressive Lessons Performed by Fernando Sor, Opus 31