There are currently no items in your cart.
Complete Improvisation, Fills & Chord Progressions Book composed by Gail Smith. For Piano. Perfect binding, Theory & Harmony. Complete. All Styles. Intermediate. Book. 228 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.95761).
ISBN 9780786618415. All Styles. 8.75 x 11.75 inches.
This book was written to provide a methodology for improvisation on the piano. Patterns are analyzed in and notated in all keys. Examples are given to illustrate how and where a fill fits. Then, step by step you can learn how to add the left hand accompaniment based on a lead sheet, or improvise with the right hand. While improvising, patterns may be woven into a beautiful tapestry of sound. Just as a kaleidoscope creates beautiful colorful patterns before your eye, the patterns in this book will enable you to create a kaleidoscope of musical sounds for your ears. Most of the book consists of short examples using familiar tunes.
- Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: Improvise with the Whole Tone Scale
- The Water Fall
- Augmented Chords with Whole-Tone Scales
- Chapter 2: Chords and Roman Numerals
- Every Chord in Every Key
- Dominant 7 - Tonic in Every Key
- Chapter 3: The Scale Used as a Fill
- Every Major and Minor Scale
- Examples of Two-Beat Fills
- Chapter 4: Chimes
- Harmonic Intervals
- Examples of Chimes
- Chapter 5: The A B C's of Improvising
- A. Notes Remain the Same
- B. Notes Step
- C. Notes Skip
- Chapter 6: Right-Hand Whole Measure Fills
- Examples of Whole Measure Fills
- Four-beat Fills in Every Key
- Three-beat Fills in Every Key
- Chapter 7: Left-Hand Patterns in 3/4 Time
- Amazing Grace
- Brahms Lullaby
- Patterns in 3/4 Time in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 8: Left-Hand Patterns in 4/4 Time
- Patterns in 4/4 Time in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 9: Faster Left-Hand Patterns in 4/4 Time
- Patterns in faster 4/4 Time in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 10: Special Effects
- Broken Chords
- Chromatic Patterns
- Diminished Scales
- Secondary Sub-Dominant Chords
- Dominant and Sub-Dominant Arpeggios
- Major-Seven Chords Voiced
- Substitution Chords
- Dominant to Tonic using the Blues Scale
- Chapter 11: Chord Progressions
- Right-Hand Add 9 Fill
- Chord Progressions in Twelve Major Keys
- Right-Hand Patterns in Twelve Keys
- Twelve-Bar Blues Patterns
- More Right-Hand Patterns in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 12: Faster Right-Hand Riffs
- The Twelve-Bar Blues Progression (example)
- Twenty-four faster fills for the right hand
- Chapter 13: Minor Chord Patterns and Progressions
- Chord Progression
- Twenty-four Minor Right-Hand Patterns in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 14: Improv with the Left-Hand (Fills for Roman Numeral Bass Progression)
- Four Chord Progressions
- Pachelbel's Canon as a progression
- O Come All Ye Faithful
- Left-Hand Patterns for basic chord progressions in 4/4 Time
- Left-Hand Patterns for basic chord progressions in 3/4 Time
- Chapter 15: Fills for Both Hands Together
- Chapter 16: Pseudo-modulations
- Pseudo-modulations in twelve keys
- Chapter 17: Happy Endings
- Twelve Different Endings in Twelve Keys
- Chapter 18: The "Two-Five-One" Progression
- The Cycle of Chords
- Review of Patterns
- Final Assignment
Complete Improvisation, Fills & Chord Progressions Book
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Complete Improvisation, Fills & Chord Progressions Book
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Format: Collection / Songbook