There are currently no items in your cart.
Clinch Mountain Guitar composed by James Alan Shelton and George Shuffler. For Guitar (Flatpicking). Boxed, Concert/Documentary. Bluegrass. DVD. Duration 63 minutes. Published by Flatpicking Guitar Magazine (MB.FGM1013).
In this one-hour instructional DVD James Alan Shelton and George Shuffler demonstrate and teach the guitar techniques that helped change the role of the guitar in bluegrass music. The music of the Stanley Brothers and Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys has featured lead guitar work since Bill Napier and George Shuffler brought the guitar to the forefront of the Stanley's music in the late 1950s. This video begins with James Alan Shelton, the current lead guitar player for Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys, picking a tune with the legendary George Shuffler. James then interviews George regarding the development of his 'crosspicking' guitar technique. George demonstrates the technique and provides a guitar solo to one of the tunes he helped to make a bluegrass standard, 'Will You Miss Me.' George and James then pick 'Katy Dear' together and demonstrate their crosspicking talents.
The instructional portion of the video begins with James Alan Shelton demonstrating the crosspicking roll and providing several exercises which will serve to train your right hand to gain skill with the crosspicking technique. James then teaches a 'turnaround' to 'Rank Stranger' which utilizes the crosspicking technique to 'fill in the gaps' between vocal lines. He then shows how to take the simple melody line of a song, 'Uncloudy Day,' and incorporate the crosspicking technique between the melody notes. Next, James teaches a crosspicking break to 'Bury Me Beneath the Weeping Willow' and follows that tune by demonstrating how to transform a Carter style guitar solo into a crosspicking solo using the song 'Wildwood Flower' as an example.
The next section of the video features James teaching two of his original flatpicking tunes 'Road to Coeburn' and 'Tom!s Creek.' This is followed by a fingerstyle performance of Ralph Stanley's favorite guitar number, 'Cannonball Blues.' James concludes the instructional portion of the video by talking about his selection of guitar strings, picks, and capos and provides 'tricks of the trade' to help you keep your flatpick in good shape. George and James both talk about their signature model Huss & Dalton guitars and the video concludes with George and James picking 'Banks of the Ohio' together. All of the songs that are taught in the video are transcribed in the accompanying transcription book.
- Banks Of The Ohio
- Cannonball Blues
- Road to Coeburn Performed by James Alan Shelton
- Tom's Creek Performed by James Alan Shelton
Clinch Mountain Guitar
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Clinch Mountain Guitar
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Genre: Bluegrass Sheet Music
Format: Performance DVD