Classical Contest Solos - Mezzo-Soprano
Vocal, Piano Accompaniment - Difficulty: medium
Composed by Various. Vocal Collection. Vocal Standards and Play Along. Softcover Audio Online. With vocal melody, lyrics, piano accompaniment and performance notes. 40 pages. Published by Hal Leonard (HL.740074).
Item Number: HL.740074
ISBN 0793577993. 9x12 inches.
This outstanding series is an encouragement to beginning singers in preparing a vocal solo. Songs have been carefully chosen for each voice type after consulting many official state contest repertoire lists. All the songs, for instance, are on the Texas list. The series will be useful to any novice singer, not just limited to those preparing an actual contest solo. Each volume contains 10 songs: 5 art songs in English, an African-American spiritual, 2 songs in Italian, a song in German and a song in Spanish. There are new editions and engravings of all songs. Biographical information is included on each composer. Interpretive suggestions are given for each song, and the preface on “Learning a Song” is especially instructive. Each volume includes beautiful performances of all the songs by a professional singer, and excellent accompaniments by pianist Laura Ward. Also on the recordings are pronunciation guides in Italian, German and Spanish.
Mezzo-Soprano Book Contents: An die Musik • The Blue-Bell • He Shall Feed His Flock • My Lord, What a Mornin' • Now Is the Month of Maying • Nymphs and Shepherds • Ombra mai fù • Porque toco el pandero • Silent Noon • Vergin, tutto amor.
Online audio is accessed at halleonard.com/mylibrary.
- The Blue-Bell Composed by Edward MacDowell
- Now is the month of Maying Composed by Thomas Morley
- Porque Toco El Pandero Composed by Joaquin Rodrigo
- He Shall Feed His Flock Composed by George Frideric Handel
- My Lord, What A Morning
- Ombra Mai Fu Composed by George Frideric Handel
- Silent Noon Composed by Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Vergin, Tutto Amor Composed by Francesco Durante
- An Die Musik Composed by Franz Schubert
- Nymphs and Shepherds Composed by Henry Purcell