There are currently no items in your cart.
Classic Tracks (The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings). Book. Softcover. 420 pages. Hal Leonard #SMB604. Published by Hal Leonard (HL.101896).
ISBN 0956446027. 9x11 inches.
What really went on behind the doors of the world's top studios while recording the Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and R.E.M.? How did producers deal with the legendary egos of Oasis and Paul Simon? Or the haunted perfectionism of Michael Jackson and Phil Spector? And how – between the drugs, the sex, the tiffs and the tantrums – did some of the most iconic tracks of our times ever get recorded?
In Classic Tracks, New York Times best-selling author Richard Buskin unearths the real stories behind 68 seminal recordings, including:
• How John Lennon put his 15-month drink-and-drugs-fueled “lost weekend” on hold to nail his first U.S. solo No. 1.
• Why the Sex Pistols were forced to hide out in the studio as police investigated complaints about them during a session for God Save the Queen.
• How Donna Summer's “Love to Love You Baby” was extended to enhance the sex life of the record company's president.
• Why the Police required a referee as much as a producer during the fight-filled sessions for “Every Breath You Take”.
• How two divorces and one very public intra-band breakup didn't stop Fleetwood Mac from recording “Go Your Own Way”.
• How the Rolling Stones completed their smash hit “Start Me Up” – without spending any time together in the studio.
From rock to rap, pop to hip-hop, soul to metal, punk to disco, and jazz to electronica, each chapter draws on original interviews and the recollections of artists, producers, and engineers to tell the inside story of an era-defining recording, with in-depth information – including rare original studio photos, lyrics and track sheets – about the relevant recording techniques and creative processes.
Starting with Les Paul (1951) and closing with the xx (2009), via reocrdings by David Bowie, Miles Davis, the Doors, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, Madonna, Metallica, the Pogues, Rihanna, the Who, and many more, Classic Tracks offers a rare insight into the mindsets and unique talents of the finest musical artists of the past six decades, and reveals how – often against the odds – some of the all-time biggest-selling, most influential records came into being.
The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
The Real Stories Behind 68 Seminal Recordings
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Format: Collection / Songbook