There are currently no items in your cart.
Choro Meets Ragtime for All Instruments. Wire bound, SongBook. Brazilian. Intermediate. Book/CD Set. 82 pages. Published by Mel Bay Publications, Inc (MB.981669182).
ISBN 9780981669182. Brazilian. 9 x 12 inches.
The Brazilian Choro and the American Ragtime are two musical expressions that resulted from European and African styling and rhythmic influences. For Choro the influence of polka prevailed, whereas for Ragtime the march was the major influence, but in both cases the African musical culture (with its syncopated rhythms), present in both Brazilian and American societies, was decisive for the formation of these styles.
Although developed independently and in parallel with each other in the late 19th century, these two musical styles share great similarities, even in relation to the negative impact made upon society when both emerged, and the subsequent acceptance of the two styles even by classical music composers.
The purpose of this work is to musically illustrate the incredible similarities between Choro and Ragtime.
We selected ten ragtime tunes (five composed by Scott Joplin, its main representative), which were performed by a Choro Ensemble following the same traditional Choro swing, rhythm and harmony. For the solo we used the typical instruments used in Choro: flute, mandolin, clarinet, and sax.
The melodies were kept identical to the respective original versions. We asked soloists to perform them faithfully following the score the first time the theme was played, adding the typical Choro variations or improvisations in the repeats.
In some repeats, the Choro Ensemble also changed the base music from Choro to maxixe and/or samba-cancao, to illustrate how other Brazilian music styles fall within the project.
In relation to harmony, we followed the indications included in the original scores for piano as basic reference, but made some adjustments to better reflect the Choro language.
Choro and Ragtime finally together, just for you to listen to, or even to play along!
Choro Meets Ragtime
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Choro Meets Ragtime
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Genre: Brazilian Sheet Music