Brazilian Bossa Novas (Jim Odrich)
Bossa nova. Instrumental Solo Part, Piano Reduction, and CD. Published by Music Minus One (MO.MMOCD16011).
Item Number: MO.MMOCD16011
ISBN 1596158220. Bossa nova.
Bossa Nova is a style of Brazilian music. The charming sound acquired a large following in the 1960s, initially consisting of young musicians and college students. Since its birth, the Bossa Nova movement has contributed its style and a number of songs to the standard jazz repertoire. Some influential names in Bossa Nova include Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius DeMoraes, Luiz Bonfa, Kenny Dorham and Newton Mendonca, all of whom are represented on this Music Minus One release.
This edition includes a note-for-note transcribed solo Piano part, printed on easy-to-read, acid-free ivory paper. The CD contains the complete performance of each piece in digital stereo, followed by a second digital stereo version minus the soloist. The pieces have been recorded by Jim Odrich on the Piano.
Jim Odrich has enjoyed varied experience in music as pianist, composer and arranger. Although the great bulk of his work has been in the so-called jazz/pop category, his basic grounding has been in the so-called "classical" arena. He holds a masters degree in music, as well as a doctorate from Columbia University. His understanding of music is derived from solid continuing study of the gamut of styles from Bach to all contemporary styles. Before entering the New York City music scene, he was a pianist-arranger for the famous USAF "airmen of Note" in Washington, DC, along with close friends such as Sammy Nestico, Tommy Newsom and Walt Levinsky. While there, he also wrote several arrangements for the USAF Symphony Orchestra. His familiarity with the construction and structure of what is generally referred to as "serious music" has permeated his compositions and is even apparent in his approach to piano jazz improvisation. He has composed and conducted music for symphony orchestra, national radio and television commercials, industrial films, recordings and school publications. Jim has also served as professor of music and head o music technology at Five Towns College in Dix Hills, NY.
- Blue Bossa Composed by Kenny Dorham
- The Girl From Ipanema Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim
- No More Blues Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim & Vinicius DeMoraes
- Triste Antonio Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Black Orpheus Composed by Luiz Bonfa
- Meditation Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim & Newton Mendonca
- Someone To Light Up My Life Composed by DeMoraes, Jobim, Lees
- Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars (Corcovado) Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Once I Loved Antonio Composed by Carlos Jobim & Vinicius DeMoraes
- Wave Composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim