There are currently no items in your cart.
Blues For Pablo
- Look inside(6)
Blues For Pablo by Miles Davis With The Gil Evans Orchestra. Edited by Jeffrey Sultanof. Arranged by Gil Evans. For orchestra (Solo Trumpet, Alto Saxophone, Flute, Alto Flute, Bass Clarinet, 5 Trumpets (6 total trumpets), 2 Horns in F, 3 Trombones, Bass Trombone, Tuba, Bass, Drums). Ballad. Difficult. Full score and set of parts. Published by Jazz Lines Publications (JL.JLP-8109).
[From this edition's notes by Jeffrey Sultanof] Blues for Pablo was originally written for Hal McKusick for inclusion on his Jazz Workshop LP recorded in 1956 for RCA Victor Records (this album also included Jambangle, which was later re-orchestrated and expanded for Evans' Big Stuff LP for Prestige Records). Evans mixes an idea in minor that has two influences (a theme from de Falla's ballet El Sombrero de Tres Picos and a Mexican folk song) with a blues in major, and the effect is pure Gil Evans. His treatment of this piece for Davis' album is identical in form to the McKusick version, but is in a different key, and of course is set for a larger ensemble.Despite a large brass ensemble of five trumpets, four trombones (including a bass trombone) and tuba, he used four reeds, of which only one was a saxophone. The other reeds are flutes and bass clarinet. Please note that there is no piano part for this arrangement, and none should be added.This edition hues closely to what Evans originally wrote as we have used the original score as the basis; the only changes are corrections of wrong notes. Don't let anyone tell you that maestro Evans did not make mistakes in his manuscripts; he most certainly did. So an editor must look carefully to make sure that what is finally published is in fact what the composer wanted. This is made easier because Evans' voicings are based on instrumental doublings, so checking say, the bass clarinet and bass trombone against each other usually solves any note questions, as well as listening to the recording. Obviously, consultation of the original parts would be helpful to aid in this pursuit. However, the original parts are currently unavailable. We did have access to the original score, however.
Blues For Pablo
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Blues For Pablo
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Instrument: Alto Saxophone Sheet Music B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music Bass Clarinet Sheet Music Bass Trombone Sheet Music Drums Sheet Music Flute Sheet Music Horn Sheet Music Percussion Sheet Music Trumpet Solo Sheet Music Tuba Sheet Music
Ensemble: Orchestra Music