There are currently no items in your cart.
Beginning Theory for Adults (The Grown-Up Approach to Music Theory). Composed by Nathaniel Gunod. Book; CD; Reference Textbooks; Textbook - General; Theory. For Adults. 96 pages. Published by Alfred Music (AP.40269).
For students of piano or guitar, this fun and friendly step-by-step introduction to music theory is written with the adult learner in mind. It is both a great self-teaching book and a great method for use with an instructor. Beginning Theory for Adults covers scales, intervals, chords, and chord inversions; major and minor diatonic harmony; keys and the circle of 5ths; plus how to read music. In addition, detailed diagrams help simplify the learning process. An ear training CD and answer key is included.
- Lesson 2: Close and Far
- Lesson 3: Whole Steps and Half Steps
- Whole Steps
- Half Steps
- Lesson 4: The Musical Alphabet and Whole and Half Steps
- Lesson 5: Accidentals
- The Flat
- The Sharp
- The Natural
- Lesson 6: Accidentals and Measures
- Chapter Four
- Lesson 1: Octaves and the Chromatic Scale
- Lesson 2: Enharmonic Equivalents and the Chromatic Scale
- Lesson 3: The Major Scale
- Lesson 4: Tetrachords
- CHAPTER FIVE
- Lesson 1: Eighth Notes and Rests
- Lesson 2: Counting Eighth Notes and Rests
- Lesson 3: Dotted Half Notes
- Lesson 4: Time
- Lesson 5: Meter
- CHAPTER SIX
- Lesson 1: Keys and Key Signatures---Sharp Keys
- Key Signatures
- Lesson 2: Keys and Key Signatures---Flat Keys
- Lesson 3: All of the Sharp and Flat Keys
- CHAPTER SEVEN
- Lesson 1: Introducing Intervals
- Scale Degrees and Interval Numbers in the Major Scale
- Lesson 2: Identifying the Size of an Interval within the Major Scale
- Lesson 3: Melodic vs. Harmonic Intervals
- Lesson 4: Interval Qualities---Major and Perfect
- Lesson 5: Major and Perfect Intervals in Half Steps
- Lesson 6: Major and Perfect Intervals Associative Repertoire
- Lesson 7: Harmonic Major and Perfect Intervals---Consonance and Dissonance
- Lesson 8: The Circle of 5ths
- Lesson 9: Minor Intervals
- Lesson 10: Double Sharps and Double Flats
- Lesson 11: Augmented and Diminished Intervals
- Lesson 12: Learning to Identify Minor, Diminished and Augmented Intervals
- Lesson 13: Minor, Diminished and Augmented Melodic Intervals
- Associative Repertoire
- Lesson 14: Minor, Diminished and Augmented Harmonic Intervals
- CHAPTER EIGHT
- Lesson 1: Dotted Quarter Notes and Rests
- Lesson 2: Major Triads
- Lesson 3: Minor Triads
- Lesson 4: Diminished Triads
- Lesson 5: Augmented Triads
- Lesson 6: Diatonic Harmony
- Diatonic Harmonies of the Major Scale
- The Primary Chords
- Roman Numerals
- Lesson 7: Basics of Chord Function
- Lesson 8: The Three Chord Categories
- CHAPTER NINE
- Lesson 1: The Relative Minor
- Lesson 2: The Natural, Harmonic and Melodic Minor Scales
- Natural Minor
- Harmonic Minor
- Melodic Minor
- Lesson 3: Diatonic Minor Harmony
- Lesson 4: Circle of 5ths and Minor Keys
- CHAPTER TEN
- Lesson 1: Sixteenth Notes and Rests
- Lesson 2: Counting Sixteenth Notes and Rests
- Lesson 3: Interval Inversion
- Lesson 4: Close and Open Position Triads
- Lesson 5: Triad Inversion---1st Inversion
- Lesson 6: Triad Inversion---2nd Inversion
- Triads in C Major, 2nd Inversion, Close Position
- Lesson 7: The Sounds of Inversions
- Analyzing Triads in Inversions and Open Positions
- CHAPTER ELEVEN
- Lesson 1: Eighth-Note Triplets
- Lesson 2: Dotted Eighth Notes
- Lesson 3: The V7 Chord
- Lesson 4: Inverting the V7 Chord
- Lesson 5: The Behavior of a Dominant 7th Chord
- Answer Key
- Chapter One
- Lesson 1: What Is Music?
- Lesson 2: The Musical Alphabet and Reading Pitch (Treble)
- The Musical Alphabet
- Lesson 3: Reading Pitch (Bass)
- Lesson 4: The Grand Staff
- CHAPTER TWO
- Lesson 1: Note Values
- Lesson 2: Measures and Time Signatures
- Lesson 3: Rests (Whole/Half/Quarter)
- Lesson 4: Ties and Slurs
- CHAPTER THREE
- Lesson 1: Ledger Lines
Beginning Theory for Adults
The Grown-Up Approach to Music Theory
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Beginning Theory for Adults
The Grown-Up Approach to Music Theory
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More by this Composer: Nathaniel Gunod Sheet Music