There are currently no items in your cart.
Beautiful Dreamer (from "Foster's America"). Composed by David R. Gillingham. For concert band (Flute 1/2, Oboe, Bassoon, Bb Clarinet 1, Bb Clarinet 2, Bb Clarinet 3, Bb Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Bb Trumpet 1, Bb Trumpet 2, Bb Trumpet 3, F Horn 1/2, Trombone 1/2, Euphonium, Baritone T.C., Tuba, Timpani (). Grade 3. Score only. Duration 3:30. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.18351).
In his unique & haunting arrangement of Stephen Foster's immortal ballad 'Beautiful Dreamer,' David Gillingham infuses his own harmonic and rhythmic treatment, perfectly capturing the wonder of the lyrics, while still remaining true to the original tune.
Extracted from David Gillingham's "Foster's America," a three-movement suite featuring four original songs by American composer, Stephen C. Foster (1826-1864), Beautiful Dreamer should be familiar to many. To capture the "dreamy" atmosphere, the movement begins with an introduction in E-flat minor with a flute and clarinet solo in dialogue using motives from the song accompanied by a texture of vibraphone, bells, and marimba to enhance the ambiance. E-flat minor succumbs to E-flat major as the song unfolds. However, there is a rhythmic twist to the presentation in that the melody employs three quarter notes followed by two dotted halves against a consistent pattern of eighths in 6/8 meter instead of the consistent eighth notes of the original version in 9/8 meter. The movement works its way to a climax of the tune in 3/4 meter and ends as dreamily as it began. Foster's original lyrics are as follows: Beautiful dreamer, wake unto me, Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee; Sounds of the rude world, heard in the day, Lull'd by the moonlight have all pass'd away! Beautiful dreamer, queen of my song, List while I woo thee with soft melody; Gone are the cares of life's busy throng, Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me! Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me! Beautiful dreamer, out on the sea Mermaids are chanting the wild lorelie; Over the streamlet vapors are borne, Waiting to fade at the bright coming morn. Beautiful dreamer, beam on my heart, E'en as the morn on the streamlet and sea; Then will all clouds of sorrow depart, Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me! Beautiful dreamer, awake unto me!
from "Foster's America"
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
from "Foster's America"
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 3