There are currently no items in your cart.
Be Thou My Vision
Be Thou My Vision composed by David Gillingham. For concert band (Piccolo, Flute 1/2, Oboe 1/2, Bassoon 1/2, Clarinet 1, Clarinet 2, Clarinet 3, Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Trumpet 1, Trumpet 2/3, Horn 1/2, Horn 3/4, Trombone 1/2, Trombone 3, Euphonium, Tuba, Timpani (4 drums)). Grade 4. Score only. Duration 7:00. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.04451).
It's not often you come across a composition that offers the high level of musical merit needed to appeal to directors and also offers an emotional depth able to truly move an audience. This is such a piece. Gillingham bases his reverent and powerful work on the hymn tune Be Thou My Vision (also known as the old Irish ballad Slane), with its eternal message of faith and hope. It goes far beyond being an arrangement of a familiar hymn tune, as Gillingham gives moments of real drama in the shimmering tonal colors provided by the woodwinds and the glorious brass lines that break through like dazzling sunlight through the clouds. It's the kind of work you will want your band to experience
It was an honor and privilege to compose this work for Ray and Molly Cramer in honor of their parents. The work is heartfelt, expressive and hopefully inspiring. The hymn tune, "Slane," is one of my favorites and inspired me to compose a countermelody which is likened to an old Irish ballad. Since "Slane" is, in fact, an old Irish ballad, the two tunes share this unique camaraderie. The work opens with a medieval-like flavor of reverence leading to the first presentation of "Slane" ("Be Thou My Vision") in D-minor stated in chant-like somberness by the euphonium. Following, the newly composed Irish ballad is sung by the flute which leads to a dramatic statement of "Be Thou My Vision" by the full ensemble in A-major. The work is interrupted by a prayerful interlude. Following is the marriage of the two Irish tunes in Db-major which grows to a glorious climax and then subsides. A heavenly benediction closes the work. - DRG.
Be Thou My Vision
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Be Thou My Vision
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More by this Composer: David Gillingham Sheet Music David Gillingham B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music David Gillingham Drums Sheet Music David Gillingham Euphonium Sheet Music David Gillingham Horn Sheet Music David Gillingham Oboe Sheet Music David Gillingham Percussion Sheet Music David Gillingham Timpani Sheet Music David Gillingham Trombone Sheet Music David Gillingham Tuba Sheet Music David Gillingham Concert Band Sheet Music
Ensemble: Concert Band Music
Level: Grade 4