There are currently no items in your cart.
Bal Folk Book
Collection / Songbook
Bal Folk Book (Traditional Dance Music from Central France). By Chris Shaw, Trevor Upham. For Acoustic Instruments. Saddle-stitched, Songbook. French. Beginning-Intermediate. Book. 40 pages. Published by Dave Mallinson Publications (MB.AD109).
ISBN 9781899512768. French. 8.25 x 11.75 inches.
Bal Folk was created from a selection tunes published as Massif Central Volumes 1 and 2. It has been completely revised and errors found in the original have been corrected. Copyright tunes had to be removed but a number of original compositions by Trevor Upham and Chris Shaw have been added. Trevor and Chris live in England but write tunes in the central French style. Trevor lived for many years in France and was very involved with the folk dance scene there, he writes some superb tunes which deserve to be better known.
This book will be of interest to anyone who enjoys playing French music, or playing for French dancing. The tunes are suitable for melodeon, fiddle and accordion and many will fit within the range of bagpipes and hurdy gurdy. It contains the usual mix of mazurkas, valses, scottisches, two and three time bourrees, and polkas that are encountered at a 'Bal Folk' in France. The majority of the tunes in this book come from the centre of France, the Berry, Bourbonnais and Auvergne regions, where there is a strong tradition of hurdy gurdy and bagpipe music.
In addition, there are a few examples of tunes for other dances that one can occasionally encounter, for example the five time waltz from Alsace. It should not be seen as an academic work, but a useful source of good tunes. Also included are a number of tunes written in the French style by Trevor Upham and Chris Shaw, two musicians playing French music in England. In France the usual tuning used for a two row melodeon is C/G, whilst in England we prefer G/D. The melodeon in C/G tuning fits very well with the 'Auvergne' tuned hurdy gurdy and bagpipes in C, when playing in C and G major. This is an instrument combination often used in France. It is for this reason that a number of tunes are written in C, however they can easily be transposed to G to fit on a G/D melodeon.
Bal Folk Book
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Bal Folk Book
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Format: Collection / Songbook