Bach Two-Part Inventions for Solo Guitar
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Arranged by Richard F. Sayage. Baroque. Collection. With introductory text, performance notes, black & white photos and fingerings. 36 pages. Edition Peters #EP68057. Published by Edition Peters (PE.P68057).
Item Number: PE.P68057
ISBN M-3007-0023-6. 9x12 inches.
The volume includes suggested fingerings and positions. Eight of the inventions have been transposed to keys more suitable for the guitar (Nos. 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14 & 15). Sayage notes, 'the top line, typically played by the right hand on the keyboard, is in fact, complete. The left hand, however, has undergone some larger transformation. The feasability of performance remains the driving issue behind said editing.' Also includes (written by Sayage): Discussion Regarding Bach and the Musical Invention; Note Regarding Tempo, Performance and Transcription; Notes Regarding Ornamentation ; A Brief Musical History of Bach.
The complete two-part inventions, BWV 772- 786, freely transcribed for guitar.
- Invention 1 BWV 772, C Major
- Invention 2 Original in C minor. BWV 773, B Minor
- Invention 3 BWV 774, D Major
- Invention 4 BWV 775, D Minor
- Invention 5 Original in Eb Major. BWV 776, D Major
- Invention 6 Original in E major. BWV 777, G Major
- Invention 7 BWV 778, E Minor
- Invention 8 Original in F major. BWV 779, C Major
- Invention 9 Original in F minor. BWV 780, E Minor
- Invention 10 BWV 781, G Major
- Invention 11 Original in G minor. BWV 782, A Minor
- Invention 12 BWV 783, A Major
- Invention 13 BWV 784, A Minor
- Invention 14 Original in Bb major. BWV 785, C Major
- Invention 15 Original in Bb minor. BWV 786, B Minor