Alexander's Feast or, The Power of Musick
Choral (SATB Score)
An Ode in Honour of St. Cecilia. Composed by George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) and Georg Friedrich H. Edited by Donald Burrows. Music Sales America. Baroque, Oratorio. Vocal Score. Novello & Co Ltd. #NOV070446. Published by Novello & Co Ltd. (HL.14001608).
Item Number: HL.14001608
ISBN 0853603480. 6.75x9.75 inches.
Alexander's Feast was composed by Handel in 1736. The words, in celebration of St Cecilia, patron saint of music, were written by Dryden and first set to music by Jeremiah Clarke. This ode was written for STB (or SATB) soli, SATB chorus and orchestra. This version, edited by Donald Burrows, contains all vocal parts and a piano accompaniment.
- Part One
- 1. Ouverture - Recit.
- 2. 'Twas at the royal feast - Recit.
- 3. Happy pair - Air and Chorus
- 4. (a) Timotheus plac'd on high - Recit.
- 4. (b) Timotheus plac'd on high - Recit.
- 6. The song began from Jove - Recit., accomp.
- 7. The list'ning crowd - Chorus
- 8. With ravish'd ears - Air
- 9. The praise of Bacchus - Recit.
- 10. Bacchus, ever fair and young - Air and Chorus
- 11. Sooth'd with the sound - Recit.
- 12. He chose a mournful muse - Recit., accomp.
- 13. He sung Darius great and good - Air
- 14. With downcast looks - Recit., accomp.
- 15. Behold Darius great and good - Chorus
- 16. (a) The mighty master smil'd - Recit.
- 17. (a) Softly sweet, in Lydian measures - Arioso
- 16. (b) The mighty master smil'd - Recit.
- 17. (b) Softly sweet, in Lydian measures - Arioso
- 18. War, he sung, is toil and trouble - Air
- 19. The many rend the skies - Chorus
- 20. The prince, unable to conceal his pain - Air
- 21. Now strike the golden lyre again - Recit., accomp., and Chorus 92
- 22. Revenge, revenge, Timotheus cries - Air
- 23. Give the vengeance due - Recit., accomp.
- 24. The princes applaud with a furious joy - Air
- 25. Thais led the way - Air and Chorus
- 26. Thus, long ago - Recit., accomp.
- 27. At last divine Cecilia came - Grand Chorus
- 28. Your voices tune - Recit.
- 29. Let's imitate her notes above - Duet
- 30. Let old Timotheus yield the prize - Recit.
- 31. Let old Timotheus yield the prize - Chorus
- 32. Your voices tune - Additional Chorus
- 4. (c) Timotheus plac'd on high (1739) - Recit.
- 26. x Thus, long ago (original version) - Recit., accomp.
Customers Who Bought Alexander's Feast or, The Power of Musick Also Bought:
Top Selling Choral Titles