There are currently no items in your cart.
Acis und Galatea
Acis und Galatea composed by George Frideric Handel (1685-1759). Arranged by Felix Bartholdy Mendelssohn. For soli: soprano voice (galatea), 2 tenor voices (acis, damon), bass voice (polyphemus), sATTB choir, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 2 horns, english horn, 2 trumpets, timpani, 2 violins, viola, cello, basso continuo. This edition: Paperbound. German title: Acis und Galathea. Oratorios. Full score. Language: German. Composed 1828/29. 216 pages. Published by Carus Verlag (CA.5504900).
ISBN M-007-03856-4. With Language: German. Oratorios.
In honor of the joint commemorative years for Handel and Mendelssohn in 2009, Mendelssohn's arrangement of Handel's Acis and Galatea will be published in cooperation with the Handel Society of Gottingen. This setting of the love story from Greek mythology was among Handel's most frequently performed works during the lifetime of the master. The interest in this work continued following his death, and in making their arrangements of it, no less than Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy concerned themselves intensely with this work. Whereas the Mozart version of the oratorio was published in 1788 and found a widespread dissemination, until now Mendelssohn's version has been handed down only in handwritten form. Yet the more recent version is no less impressive than the older one. Through the addition of various wind instruments Mendelssohn achieved an enormously colorful orchestral sound which effective illustrated the dramatic plot, and even dramatized it in some cases. The entirely spacial interpretation by the barely twenty-year-old composer is based on the text of a then unknown German translation of the original text. Initial study of the partial autograph which has been handed down shows that Fanny, Felix's sister, also worked on the translation of the text. The singing text in the edition will be printed in both English and German.
Acis und Galatea
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Acis und Galatea
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
More by this Composer: George Frideric Handel Sheet Music George Frideric Handel B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Bass Voice Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Choir Sheet Music George Frideric Handel English Horn Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Percussion Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Piano and Keyboard Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Soprano Voice Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Tenor Voice Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Timpani Sheet Music George Frideric Handel Mixed Choir Sheet Music George Frideric Handel SATTB Sheet Music
Instrument: B-Flat Trumpet Sheet Music Bass Voice Sheet Music Choir Sheet Music English Horn Sheet Music Percussion Sheet Music Piano and Keyboard Sheet Music Soprano Voice Sheet Music Tenor Voice Sheet Music Timpani Sheet Music
Genre: Baroque Period Sheet Music