There are currently no items in your cart.
A Parting Blessing
- Look inside(2)
A Parting Blessing composed by Jerome Williams. Arranged by D. Gillingham. For Choir with Concert Band (SATB Choir, Piccolo/Flute 1/2, Oboe 1/2, Bassoon 1/2, Clarinet 1, Clarinet 2/3, Bass Clarinet, Alto Saxophone 1/2, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Trumpet 1, Trumpet 2/3, Horn 1/2, Horn 3/4, Trombone 1/2, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Timpani, Perc). Grade 3. Score and parts. Duration 3:55. Published by C. Alan Publications (CN.05990).
Based on a tune by Jerome Williams. A Parting Blessing is a heart-wrenching piece with chorus and band. Ideal as a collaborative effort with your chorus. Beautiful melody and excellent scoring. An excellent piece to pay tribute or as a centerpiece to a concert.
The 2002 Apple Valley High School Wind Ensemble in Apple Valley, MN, commissioned A Parting Blessing for their director, Scott A. Jones, who would be taking a sabbatical to complete his doctorate. Based on an old Irish blessing, A Parting Blessing begins with a sort of chiming of bells between the vibraphone and orchestra bells over rolls by the marimba. Above this underlying ostinato, the flute plays a descending "Irish-like" motive followed by a fragment of the Irish Blessing tune and culminating with a quote of the "Irish Washer Woman" by the piccolo. The purpose of all of this is to set the mood of the piece. The band (or chorus) then sings, in unison/octaves, the Irish Blessing. The accompaniment continues in compound meter from the beginning, but the vocal part is set in duple. Following the chordal section, the full band plays the tune with the brass playing the melody. The section increases in volume and reaches a pinnacle on the penultimate phrase of the blessing. After a grand pause, the band quietly sings the last phrase, "May God hold you in the palm of His Hand," and the work ends as quietly as it began. - D.R.G.
A Parting Blessing
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
A Parting Blessing
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Level: Grade 3