There are currently no items in your cart.
A Boy Was Born op. 3 ((1932-33) SATB and Organ). Composed by Benjamin Britten (1913-1976). Music Sales America. 90 pages. Chester Music #CH76549. Published by Chester Music (HL.14037801).
ISBN 1849386382. 8.5x11 inches.
Choral Variations for unaccompanied* SATB with boys' voices
Texts:Theme A Boy was Born Anon. 16th century
Variation 1 Lullay, Jesu Anon. before 1536
Variation 2 Herod Anon. before 1529
Variation 3 Jesu, as Thou art our saviour Anon. 15th Century
Variation 4 The Three Kings Anon. 15th Century
Variation 5 In the bleak mid-winter Christina Rossetti
Lully, lulley, lully, lulley Anon. before 1536
Variation 6 (Finale) Noel!, Welcome Yule Anon. 15th century
Christmas Thomas Tusser A Christmas Carol Francis Quarles
Publisher: Chester Music
Difficulty level: 5
*an organ part was created by Ralph Downes in 1957-58 which should only be used in extremis.
The extent of Britten's early genius can, to some extent, be measured by thiswork. Written while a student at the Royal College of Music aged only 19 itdemonstrates the most precocious creative gifts. A rock-solid technique is evident, but also the ability to develop ideas over a large span of time (this is a major work) and, while testing even the best of choirs to its limits, Britten nevertheless always writes within the grasp of what is possible, and not only possible but supremely effective. Each movement contributes to the developing relationship with the initial theme, while also sitting perfectly within the sense of an unfolding 'Suite' of movements. The conductor needs to realise the tempo relationships and the contrasts of mood, pace and dynamics, and judge the scale of each movement in relation to the others.
One of the issues with this work is that it requires a boys' choir in addition to the main choir. This, of course, can also be a girls' or even a mixed group of upper voices. It does have to be a separate group, however, and in some performances they also have their own conductor, but they should not be placed at a distance due to the intricacy of their part in relation to the whole.
A Boy was Born is one of the most excitingly satisfying of Britten's choral works. While it should not be undertaken by any but the most ambitious amateur choirs, its challenges are certainly surmountable with a good run of rehearsals.
Duration: 32 minutes
Paul Spicer, Lichfield, 2011.
A Boy Was Born op. 3
(1932-33) SATB and Organ
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
A Boy Was Born op. 3
(1932-33) SATB and Organ
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
More by this Composer: Benjamin Britten Sheet Music
Genre: 20th Century Sheet Music