There are currently no items in your cart.
The Prism (The WDR Big Band Cologne plays music of Bill Dobbins and Peter Erskine). By Bill Dobbins, Peter Erskine. For Big Band. CD only - No Sheet Music included. Published by Advance Music (AV.2000011).
Since September , 1994, I have had the unique pleasure of working with and writing for one of the very best big bands in the world. If you have already listened to the CD, you certainly need no further evidence. If you havent already listened to it, then you are in for a real treat. As if the exceptional lead instrumentalists, the long list of outstanding soloists and the incredible range of woodwind doubling were not enough, this band has the luxury of actually earning its living simply from playing music together on a daily basis throughout the year. This results in a level of ensemble playing which is nearly impossible to achieve, even with the best musicians, in the more usual free lance situations. Such conditions are only possible because this band is employed full time by the WDR (West German Radio, actually West-Deutscher Rundfunk). Since this is the bands first CD of my compositions and arrangements, I tried to put together a program which showcases the bands broad musical spectrum and solo talent to maximum advantage. It was an extra special pleasure to collaborate with guest drummer and composer Peter Erskine. Peter has done a couple of projects a year with the band, including an enormously successful appearance at the January, 1998 convention of the International Association of Jazz Educators in New York City. Peters compositions offer a lot of room for the arrangers imagination, and the combination of his unique gifts as a drummer with the capabilities of our band is truly a writers dream. The first four pieces are from studio productions with Peter, and the last four are from a live concert at the Stadtgarten, a local club in Cologne which is one of several venues where the band performs on a regular basis. I listened to this without knowing who did what, but my impression turned out to be the truth. The arrangements are obviously by Bill Dobbins and are of such high quality that one is flabbergasted by listening. Elegy is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard wistful and lovely and Lo Flame has some brilliant trumpet writing in it. Heiner Wiberny is probably one of the best lead alto players I have known and you soon recognize the difference between the tenor sax sounds of Olivier Peters and Rolf Romer and their succeeding styles. Henning Berg is immediately identifiable by his sound and style of playing. Also identifiable is Andy Haderer, both in style and his tone. The band is absolutely in top shape and has played all of this material exceedingly well. (Clare Fischer).
- Loose Your Life (and It Will Surely Find You) Performed by Bill Dobbins
- Elegy Performed by Bill Dobbins
- Seibernetics Performed by Bill Dobbins
- Song for Jaco Performed by Peter Erskine, Arr. Bill Dobbins
- Lo Flame Performed by Bill Dobbins
- Prism Performed by Bill Dobbins
- If Only I Had Known Performed by Peter Erskine, Arr. Bill Dobbins
- Bulgaria Performed by Peter Erskine, Arr. Bill Dobbins
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ensemble: Big Band Music