There are currently no items in your cart.
5 Secular Pieces - 3 Scores composed by Barbireau/Barbingnant. For lyra viol, tenor viol, bass viol; or STB recorders. String Trios, Recorder Trios. Early Music Library. 3 Scores. Published by London Pro Musica (MM.EML0222).
This publication contains almost all the surviving secular works of two relatively obscure fifteenth-century composers who seem in fact to have been confused with each other: Jacques Barbireau(c.l420-1491) of Antwerp, and the mysterious Barbingnant, about whom almost nothing is known. The complete edition of Barbireau's works by Bernhard Meier (Corpus Musicae Mensurabilis 7) includes the works that are attributed to Barbingnant, treating the two musicians as one. The only piece that are not included here is Barbireau's famous Een vroylic wesen, which included in EML0355. Incidentally, the song Au travail suis, which was attributed to Barbingnant in one source, is probably by Ockeghem (to be included in our forthcoming complete edition of Ockeghem's songs). Though obscure, both musicians produced at least one piece that was extremely well-known in their own time: Barbireaus Een vroylic wesen and Barbingnant's L omme banni. Both composers fill an interesting stylistic niche: their music is a little more modem in general sound, more elaborate rhythmically, and more experimental in use of texture than that of Hayne van Ghizeghem, but less imitative than that of Busnois, to whom they are probably closest. However, our understanding of this music is seriously hampered by the lack of texts in many cases: for instance, the very simple top part in Scon lief could be some kind of popular tune, but without the text, we are in the dark. CONTENTS: Scon lief (Barbireau) Der Pfoben Swancz (Barbingnant) Gradeulx et biaux (Barbireau) En esperant (Barbingnant) Lhommi bani de sa plaisance (Barbingnant).
- Scon lief Composed by Barbireau
- Der Pfoben Swancz Composed by Barbingnant
- Gradeulx et biaux Composed by Barbireau
- En esperant Composed by Barbingnant
- Lhommi bani de sa plaisance Composed by Barbingnant
5 Secular Pieces - 3 Scores
- Explain exactly why you liked or disliked the product. Do you like the artist? Is the transcription accurate? Is it a good teaching tool?
- Consider writing about your experience and musical tastes. Are you a beginner who started playing last month? Do you usually like this style of music?
- Feel free to recommend similar pieces if you liked this piece, or alternatives if you didn't.
- Be respectful of artists, readers, and your fellow reviewers. Please do not use inappropriate language, including profanity, vulgarity, or obscenity.
- Avoid disclosing contact information (email addresses, phone numbers, etc.), or including URLs, time-sensitive material or alternative ordering information.
- We cannot post your review if it violates these guidelines. If you have any suggestions or comments on the guidelines, please email us.
- All submitted reviews become the licensed property of Sheet Music Plus and are subject to all laws pertaining thereto. If you believe that any review contained on our site infringes upon your copyright, please email us.
5 Secular Pieces - 3 Scores
Tell a friend (or remind yourself) about this product. We'll instantly send an email containing product info and a link to it. You may also enter a personal message.
We do not use or store email addresses from this form for any other purpose than sending your share email.
Now you can also view your purchased titles on your iPad with our
free Sheet Music Plus Digital Print Viewer app.
With Digital Print, you can print from your computer immediately after purchase, or wait until its convenient. And our software installation is easy - we'll guide you through the simple steps to make sure you have Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR and the Sheet Music Plus AIR application on your computer.
See all System Requirements for Digital Print
Note: Our Digital Print items are purchased solely through our website. By purchasing a Digital Print item, you are authorized by the publisher to print out the purchased number of copies for that particular title. Thus, we are unable to fax, mail or email digital titles in any form or file format (including PDF) as it violates copyright law.
Google Chrome Users: The most recent Google Chrome update is not compatible with Adobe AIR. We recommend using an alternate browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox) in order to download Adobe AIR and print your music.
Digital Print - Available Instantly!
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Series: Early Music Library