13 Ways of Looking at the Goldberg
Piano - SMP Level 8 (Early Advanced)
First Performance: May 2, 2004 (Kalamazoo, MI). Modern. Collection. Duration circa 50 minutes. Edition Peters #EP68122. Published by Edition Peters (PE.P68122).
Item Number: PE.P68122
Contents: Bach: Aria, from The Goldberg Variations BWV 988; C. Curtis-Smith: Rube Goldberg Variation; Jennifer Higdon: The Gilmore Variation; Mischa Sarche Zupko: Ghost Variation; Stanley Walden: Fantasy Variation; Bright Sheng: Variation Fugato; Derek Bermel: Kontraphunktus; Bach: Variation 13, from Goldberg Variations BWV 988; David Del Tredici: My Goldberg (Gymnopedie No. 1); Fred Lerdahl: Chasing Goldberg; William Bolcom: Yet Another Goldberg Variation (for left hand alone) (Canon Inversa); Lukas Foss: Goldmore Variation; Ralf Gothoni: Variation on Variation with Variation; Fred Hersch: Melancholy Minuet; Bach: Aria (reprise), from Goldberg Variations BWV 988
These 12 diverse new variations on the orignal Bach aria were commissioned by the Irving S. Gilmore International Keyboard Festival for pianist Gilbert Kalish, who gave the first performance at the Festival on May 2, 2004 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 'An interesting look at how different composers approach the same theme.' --Clavier, September 2007.
About SMP Level 8 (Early Advanced)
4 and 5-note chords spanning more than an octave. Intricate rhythms and melodies.
- Aria, from The Goldberg Variations BWV 988 Performed by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Rube Goldberg Variation Performed by C. Curtis-Smith
- The Gilmore Variation Performed by Jennifer Higdon
- Ghost Variation Performed by Mischa Sarche Zupko
- Fantasy Variation Performed by Stanley Walden
- Variation Fugato Performed by Bright Sheng
- Variation 13, from Goldberg Variations BWV 988 Performed by Johann Sebastian Bach
- My Goldberg (Gymnopedie No. 1) Performed by David Del Tredici
- Chasing Goldberg Performed by Fred Lerdahl
- Yet Another Goldberg Variation (for left hand alone) (Canon Inversa) Performed by William Bolcom
- Goldmore Variation Performed by Lukas Foss
- Variation on Variation with Variation Performed by Ralf Gothoni
- Melancholy Minuet Performed by Fred Hersch
- Aria (reprise), from Goldberg Variations BWV 988 Performed by Johann Sebastian Bach
Customers Who Bought 13 Ways of Looking at the Goldberg Also Bought: